Logging point to point cross country time

Bamaaviator

Quick question about this. I frequently fly from my principal airport to other airports in the vicinity with students. When you log point to point xc time, can you include the entire flight as xc time? Or do you have to subtract a certain amount due to time spent in the traffic pattern, maneuvers in the training area along the way, etc? Say for example, if I fly from A to B, and flew a few circuits in the pattern at B (with a landing of course), then returned home to point A, and the total time of the flight is 1.5, can I log the point to point time as 1.5 also?

As @Roger Roger said, entire flight.

In theory, I guess you can create situations in which the FAA might cry foul, but those would be extreme., say a 10 minute enroute with 2 hours of touch & goes, but, if so, I'd bet you'd know it was BS when you logged it.

Interestingly Orlando FSDO does this, think they suggest you take .3 off every flight to make sure it is 'real' cross country.

Don't think that's fair but don't know if they still try to stick to it. Glad I didn't do my instrument or commercial with them.

There used to be some value in logging everything that was cross-country (one point to another point) as such. However, the rules changed over time. As far as I know, there is no longer any value from a certificate standpoint of logging flights that don't meet the distance requirement (depending on category) as cross-country. I could dream up some possible benefits in doing that for areas other than certification, but the trouble of having to sort out which ones qualify for certification purposes and which ones don't tend to outweigh any advantage.

There used to be some value in logging everything that was cross-country (one point to another point) as such. However, the rules changed over time. As far as I know, there is no longer any value from a certificate standpoint of logging flights that don't meet the distance requirement (depending on category) as cross-country. I could dream up some possible benefits in doing that for areas other than certification, but the trouble of having to sort out which ones qualify for certification purposes and which ones don't tend to outweigh any advantage.
Part 135 mins.

can I log the point to point time as 1.5 also

Yes but only if you subtract the time from the engine start to taxi.

Seriously though don't overthink it, that's how everyone logs it. Just don't ask the chief council for clarification because you may not like the answer.

Back