logging PIC as a safety pilot

[ QUOTE ]
i can't see how a safety pilot would get in any trouble unless maybe there was a mid air collision. in which case who cares. your dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAAAHAHA! This is how the FAA should explain things in their FAR/AIM, it would be a lot easier to understand...

I differentiate between acting PIC and logged PIC on my resume so whichever way the airline wants to count it, they have it!

[ QUOTE ]
In the typical safety pilot scenario, the flight is under VFR and both pilots are qualified to act as PIC for the flight, here's the basics (FP= flying pilot under the hood; SP = safety pilot):

1. FP logs PIC because she is the "sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated" 61.51(e)(1)

2. If FP and SP agree that SP is acting as PIC (responsible for the flight) SP may log PIC while FP is under the hood because he "is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under ... the regulations under which the flight is conducted. 61.51(e)(1). Flight in simulated IMC is an operation that requires more than one pilot. 91.109(b).

3. If FP and SP agree that FP is acting as PIC for the flight, SP may log SIC time while FP is under the hood because "more than one pilot is required ... the regulations under which the flight is being conducted. 61.51(f)(2). Flight in simulated IMC is an operation that requires more than one pilot. 91.109(b).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I understand the safety pilot thing for the most part but still have one question. Lets say you're the SP for a 1 hour flight. During that 1 hour flight the FP is under the hood for only 0.8. My question is, do you log 1 hour total time in your logbook with 0.8 PIC? Or, do you log only 0.8 as SP, thus losing the 0.2?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I understand the safety pilot thing for the most part but still have one question. Lets say you're the SP for a 1 hour flight. During that 1 hour flight the FP is under the hood for only 0.8. My question is, do you log 1 hour total time in your logbook with 0.8 PIC? Or, do you log only 0.8 as SP, thus losing the 0.2?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where it gets sticky. Technically, if the other person is NOT under the hood, you're not a "required crewmember" anymore. Therefore, I don't think you could legally log the whole 1 hour, just the 0.8

[ QUOTE ]
This is where it gets sticky. Technically, if the other person is NOT under the hood, you're not a "required crewmember" anymore. Therefore, I don't think you could legally log the whole 1 hour, just the 0.8

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. You can only log that 0.8 for the reason you mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
so do both pilots log the landings? or only the FP?

[/ QUOTE ]Only the sole manipulator of the controls during the landing can log it for currency.

So does the safety pilot log PIC ONLY? or do they also log single engine time or x-c time etc etc while acting as safety pilot?

Yes on the single engine time. Once you get to "logable" as some kind of flight time, then the information required by 61.51(b) comes into play.

Iffy on the cross country time. If you read the regulations, yes - you have logable flight time on a flight that meets the requirements for a cross country. But John Lynch, in the Part 61 FAQ takes the position (with nothing other than his own opinion to support it) that only the pilot who does the takeoff and landing is entitled to log cross country time.

Back