Logging cross country time


Well-Known Member
Under FAR 61.1, there are three different ways to log cross country time. As a 500 hour pilot working my way to the airlines, should I be logging these seperately? Which one do
the airlines care about? Point to point cross country, or 50 mile trip cross country?
Depends on where you want to end up.

If you are aiming for a Part 135 gig - definitely keep track of the point to point x/c's along with everything else.
If I were working my way to a professional flying career, I would definitely log both. And keep them either in separate columns in my paper logbook or have the ability to separate them out in my electronic one.

Having seen these kinds of discussions before, there's bound to be at least one person who will tell you that the airlines really don't care about the 10 NM cross country you made 50 times to he airport next door to grab a burger. That's true. An airline, like any employer, is typically interested in quality not quantity. But that's not a reason to avoid logging it (or at least being able to easily retrieve the totals).

Let's suppose you've got that CFI job at a small FBO. The operator also runs a very small 135 cargo operation. The pilot who usually does the trips gets another job. The owner, knowing you and trusting you, wants you to take over the flights. He's not worried about the quality of your flying time — he's satisfied with your skills already. He just cares that the FAA says that he's allowed to use you. Unfortunately, all you've logged is the 50+ NM type and there just isn't enough of those. On the other hand, if you counted those short burger flights...
By the time you have 1200 hours and meet 135 minimums you should have 500 hours of cross country time anyway. I guess by logging it separate you could save some time with a calculator in the future, but it is not really a big deal. If you are a CFI, I would urge you to get as much cross country as you can. Avoid just going out and back to the same airport. Do not abuse your students, but during instrument training and mult-engine training, if you can get 50 miles away, do it. If you play your cards right you will have close to the 500 hours of CC you need for the ATP by the time you get 1500 hours.
and unless you are a CFI in the big cities, there are tons of local private pilots that are afraid of class B and mountain airports, etc.. if you bring it up, they'll usually fess up and then be glad you offered to fly with them to these places....