Logging Actual

Finding IMC isn't a problem in New England where I currently instruct.

-At the start of the instrument rating, I want VMC as the lessons focus on basic aircraft control.

-Once we get to navaids and holding, its easy enough to get a clearance to punch through a layer.

-At the learning approaches and cross-country phase, I'm comfortable with a stable ceiling at 600-1000'

Also, if you get through the instrument without much actual under your belt, the 100 NM cross countries required for your commercial can be IMC. There was once an "in visual conditions" caveat to that requirement, but it's gone now.

Was it here or somewhere else a few years ago where there was a big debate on this? Specifically, I remember someone saying that you're either prepared to fly full IFR to mins or you shouldn't fly it at all - no personal minimums, just regulatory ones. Wasn't my take on it, just thought it was an interesting and lively discussion.
Yeah, I don't think that is an either/or proposition though. If you aren't prepared to fly to mins, don't go IMC. However, that does not mean you have to go because it is just at mins, either.

Thanks.

Do you have any strategies for going Actual Hunting? Conditions that you look for? Like, I know that generally if you're penetrating clouds it's likely to be bumpy, but I suspect finding a good, thick stratiform OVC layer would be relatively smooth right?

On days where such things exist, is ATC okay with you flying a bit lower in the layer knowing that there are VMC conditions above it?
A little late to the party...lots of good advice here +1 on most of it.
Funny story, I knew an older fella that wore foggles flying in imc. Helped him focus. Point is, hand flying in imc introduces all sorts of changes in light, color and spatial perception. That's the reason you want to practice in it with the ii.
Summer time has boomers, winter has ice..
Both problems can be worked around, carefully. Keep your eye on the freezing level and the radar. You need cold water to get ice. If the freezing level is 4000', and the ovc is 1000', go take a look...
Pireps are your friend...

Yeah, I don't think that is an either/or proposition though. If you aren't prepared to fly to mins, don't go IMC. However, that does not mean you have to go because it is just at mins, either.
I never liked the "what's your personal mins??" question. Pretty stupid to assign some arbitrary number that somehow applies to your experience level. Do the numbers change if your wife just left you or your dog died? Do you raise it 50' for the sniffles, 100' for a bad day at work? How bout flying slightly different equipment than usual, or you've got a broken widget?
Can you please have a more responsible conversation with yourself, instead of making silly proclamations? I've punched out of 010' ovc and was praying to get on the ground, and I've flown a TAA in smooth stable dry air down to minimums that could of been easily flown by a student pilot...
Cheers

I'll second the night flying. Still not the same as actual, but much closer. If you go out on a moonless night, even better. Also, if you plan to do you CSEL, no reason not to extend the IFR training a bit, work on the longer XC needed for the CSEL or maneuvers, then jump back into the IR when we get some warmer cloudy days. Hopefully Phil doesn't see his shadow and you can get up in early March.

My cautionary tale for IMC in summer is based on personal experience.
The first few times you fly in cumulus, broken, or scattered layers, be ready to get vertigo.
Getting little glimpses of sky, ground, and horizon through ragged clouds can be extremely disorienting. Your eyes are naturally attracted to light, so you'll automatically look up when that little blue patch whips by you at 100 kts.

My cautionary tale for IMC in summer is based on personal experience.
The first few times you fly in cumulus, broken, or scattered layers, be ready to get vertigo.
Getting little glimpses of sky, ground, and horizon through ragged clouds can be extremely disorienting. Your eyes are naturally attracted to light, so you'll automatically look up when that little blue patch whips by you at 100 kts.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, and it can happen in any "variably built cloud".
Best to get that experience, introduction, with your instructor.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, and it can happen in any "variably built cloud".
Best to get that experience, introduction, with your instructor.

Clearly you haven't checked your text messages lately.

Back