Logbook thoughts....

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
....carried over from "top 10" thread

The BL (bottom line) is, there's always those pilots that need flying time so much in order to get their right-seat gig flying at ClownAir that they'll weasel any 0.1 PIC by interchangeably being "acting" PIC vs "flying" PIC vs "necessary" PIC as safety pilot, etc, etc. Same with trying to log actual as a non-instrument PVT just because they ended up at night between Phoenix and Flagstaff, horizon or not. I knew one idiot PPL that took off from PRC on a clear night with good stars/ground horizon, flew to the northwest where there few ground lights for 1.0, then turned around and flew back to PRC. Logged the whole thing as actual because on the way out, there was no horizon (never mind the stars/sky vs ground with the brigtness of a 3/4 moon) and on the way back, the lights of PRC were so bright, he had to stare at the attitude indicator the whole way so he wouldn't get blinded!

This is the crock of crap being logged into so many logbooks that I've seen in my time. All because he wants to get to Mesa or Great Lakes faster than the other guy. A logbook is something I don't screw with. It's bound by your integrity and nothing else. That's why I don't finagle/finesse/massage/eek out/stretch/read into/con/lawyerize/try to figure out the "spirit" vs "intent", or suit to my own personal needs, the logging of flight time. That's why I don't "Johnny Cochran" the whole "....with intent to fly" regards to including taxi time somehow being flight time; "paid to fly" vs "paying to fly" regards whether I feel I "deserve" that extra 0.2; or all night time being actual; or the whole PIC BS.

Never did it when I was a Private pilot, don't do it now, and haven't done it in-between. And my honest black-ink entries in my soon-to-be third complete logbook have gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go in this industry. Have I potentially missed out on some 0.1s or 0.2s here and there? Yes, I probably have. But I'd rather have completely accurate logbooks, than flight time built on stretches, personal-helping interpertations, what I feel I deserve, or other BS. There's many a flight I remember simply because the logbook entry I made is so thorough, so correct, it reflects the true nature of what went on that particular flight. I remember them like they occurred yesterday. That's something that can't be done with logbooks built on questionable flight times/flight conditions.

Those 3 logbooks have spoken for themselves many times over, and will continue to do so.

MD

BL = bottom locker?
BL = bull licker?
BL = bung looker?
BL = blue lingerie?
BL = bikini lounge?
BL = Barca-Lounger?
BL = banana long?
BL = barf load?
BL = ????

Hey! Got it!
BL = bottom line!
gotta love the military BSA (bull snot acronyms)!

just playin' with ya.....
grin.gif

Actually, Boss, you're right on...

People, don't bother dinking around at the edges of the is-it-logable envelope, 'cause it don't pay. Experienced chief pilots can read the BS nickle-and-dime stuff a mile away.

That did cross my mind 'cause there are some slick fellas out there. Glad you guys brought it up, wish Discovery Wings would alot 10 or 15 minutes to bogus entries in it's Flight Training (forgot the exact name) series.
****Edwin Batist-z651535 VBTS

Now, believe me...Mike D is the last person I want to be my enemy, but....

I agree with absolutely everything there, except for the "taxi time - flight time" thing. I just don't see that as "cooking" your logbook. Legally, it's legitimate flight time, and anytime an employer wants to know your total time, minus any taxi time, they can give you the adjustment factor ( quoted from here ):

When converting taxi time a conversion factor of .3 or eighteen minutes, per leg/sortie should be used. These guidelines are imposed by Southwest Airlines for the purpose of standardizing the calculation of flight time.

I think it's legit....

[ QUOTE ]
Now, believe me...Mike D is the last person I want to be my enemy, but....

I agree with absolutely everything there, except for the "taxi time - flight time" thing. I just don't see that as "cooking" your logbook. Legally, it's legitimate flight time, and anytime an employer wants to know your total time, minus any taxi time, they can give you the adjustment factor ( quoted from here ):

When converting taxi time a conversion factor of .3 or eighteen minutes, per leg/sortie should be used. These guidelines are imposed by Southwest Airlines for the purpose of standardizing the calculation of flight time.

I think it's legit....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah...no enemies implied nor intended!
smile.gif
And you're absolutely correct about the taxi time conversion factor. I remember when I was flying cargo and putting in apps for the mainline airlines, they even had what they called the "military conversion factor" to figure in for military flight time, if taxi time was factored in. So I can understand that sense.

How could I be the enemy of a Marine? (notice I didn't say former Marine?)
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How could I be the enemy of a Marine? (notice I didn't say former Marine?)
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'm sure one of my buddies has seen you as the saving grace since you've been over there!!! No, never any enemies for this guy!!

Back