logbook questions?

montanapilot

I was wondering what is the difference is between all the different logbooks you can buy i.e. sportys, jeppesen, and asa. what do you guys recommend or does it even matter one way or another?

Also i found this one on ebay for pretty cheap i was wondering if anyone has used one of these and if it is worth buying or not. (Below is the link for the Ebay one)

Also sportys says in their catalog that their logbooks are up to date with the currents FAR's. do logbooks get out of date?

Stafford Senior Pilot Logbook

I use a Jepp. and it does fine for me. I know a ton of other people that use Jepp. as well. The FAR's correspond to the endorsements in the back of the logbook. Not really a big deal, you can write in the official literature from the FAA if the endorsement you need is not in the back.

Just go to a pilot shop and buy the one you like best... it really dosen't matter too much as long as you don't lose it!

Yeah, it doesn't matter which one you get, just make sure you like it. The biggest difference is the way time's are broken down(ie. ifr, vfr, multi, jet, etc.)
It's just like choosing between short sleeve shirts. One may have a finer knit, brighter colors, less buttons. Ultimately, it depends on your preferences.

I met a bush pilot that actually used a spiral for logging time. All neatly written, no dogears, same color pen for all of it. Very professionally done, just in a spiral. He told me that there was actually a place that he interviewed at that said they would not accept his spiral notebook as a logbook!

It can be on toilet paper, it doesnt matter.

BUT, get one with thick pages. Ive seen alot of logbooks being a CFI, and i Think the ASA white paged ones are the worst. Thin white pages look bad. Get you a Jepp green thick paged one.
ADIOS

[ QUOTE ]
...get one with thick pilots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said then done. It's been my expierence that most pilots are thick.

Har!
Yeah, I got the ASA "look-ma-I-got-a-logbook" model. Fine for initial training, but I think It's time to step up to the Jepp pro model. I was sold on the little strip of gold transfer paper that you can sign your name on the front with.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was sold on the little strip of gold transfer paper that you can sign your name on the front with.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That foil thing is pretty rinky-dink if'n you ask me; if your local mall has a Things Remembered store, they have a nice brass plate that fits the space on the big Jepp logbook exactly, and looks rather stylin' with your name engraved on it. Much nicer than a foil signature that kinda sorta works. I've since decided to fill my original one first--or at least wait until I'm actually a "professional" pilot.

When you buy a logbook, consider one that will allow you to use correction fluid on it.

For example, my ASA Pilot Master Logbook pages are white (correction fluid available) and grey (correction fluid NOT available).

I believe Jepp logbooks are accounting green. Correction fluid is available in this color.

If you make a mistake in your logbook (and who has not), it can easily and professionally be rectified. If I could do it all over again I would get the Jepp (green). My only gripe with the Jepp book is that the "Remarks" section is very small.

Your logbook is very important. Your future employer will most certainly be paging through it. Use the same pen each time you write in it, keep it in a safe place. I keep mine in a safe. My chief pilot at my school even goes to the length of making copies and having each page notorized. Also, you should have a back up of your logbook. I have mine on computer as well as on paper.

[ QUOTE ]
consider one that will allow you to use correction fluid on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I was always taught to avoid correction fluid or "white out" on official documents. Single line through the error with your inicials is sufficient.

I was told not to use correction fluid by several people. You should line through the mistake and then make the correction next to it.

I actually made my own logbook. Its easy, I used excell for the spread sheet look. I have 3 sections ASEL, AMEL, and Helicopter. I have a statement at the bottom attesting to the fact that this is true and correct and then I sign each page. I broke up the different sections to suit me, yet accuarately represent my flight experience.

In my haste I bought the ASA standard Pilot Log when I began my training. In retrospect, I would have bought the Jepp Pilot Log. It's larger and has more "blank columns" to add things like "complex" time and "airport to airport" (for those considering a Part 135 gig some day).

Plus, corrections with white-out can get to look REALLY sloppy.

My next one will be the Jepp. logbook.

[ QUOTE ]
In my haste I bought the ASA standard Pilot Log when I began my training. In retrospect, I would have bought the Jepp Pilot Log. It's larger and has more "blank columns" to add things like "complex" time and "airport to airport" (for those considering a Part 135 gig some day).

Plus, corrections with white-out can get to look REALLY sloppy.

My next one will be the Jepp. logbook.

[/ QUOTE ]On the other hand, my first logbook was the ASA "Standard". My second was the Jepp "Professional." I just finished it and bought... the ASA Standard again. There's a lot to be said for filling up the pages quickly! The "extra" columns for complex, retract, and point-to-point cross countries are taken care of by my electronic log.

[ QUOTE ]
The "extra" columns for complex, retract, and point-to-point cross countries are taken care of by my electronic log.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to get my butt in gear and get an e-logbook! Thanks for the reminder!

I'm about halfway through the little blue "Cessna" logbook that comes with the "Cleared For Takeoff" CD ground school system.

It was "free" so I used it and now I'm just going to finish it out.

I don't know what I'll get once it's full but when it does fill up in a safe or Safety Deposit Box it will go.

Back