Logbook Question

Individual entries in black ink (Pilot P-500, enables you to write hella tiny), page totals in pencil.

Like aloft, I use a black pen for each individual entry and calculate the page totals in pencil.

I do everything including page totals in pen, but when i go to do the page totals, I check everything 3 times to make sure its accurate, before I record it. Also, there's no shame in using correction fluid if you make a mistake. Even airlines expect to see a few mistakes in logbooks with years worth of entries, as long as those mistakes are corrected and your logbook is presentable. My instructor told me about a pilot who's logbook was such a disaster that when it came time to prepare for his first airline interview, be bought a brand new logbook, copied all of his entries neatly into it, and even got in touch with all of his old instructors so they could sign all of his dual recieved entries and endoursements. He did not get hired becasue his logbook was too perfect and the airline though it was BS.

I would use pen for all entries. Your logbook is actually a legal document, providing proof of flight times for obtaining federally supplied certificates. So pen provides a permanent entry that cannot be altered. Also, I'd recommend refrain from using white out... just make a double strikeout on the error, correct it, and initial next to the error. I have a dozen or so small errors in my logbook, and that's how I corrected them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd recommend refrain from using white out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere a few years ago I saw green-out. (It perfectly matched the color of logbook pages.) I think it might have been at Office Max or something like that.

Yep, I got green correction fluid from Staples and it is a PERFECT match to my logbook. You have to look very closely to tell a correction was even made.

It is kind of hard to find in the stores, at least in those around my area, but you can get it on their online store.

somewhere I thought I learned that the FAA was frowning on white-out (or green-out for that matter) in favor of striking through a correction, as mentioned above. I suppose this might fall into the category of different answer from each FSDO???

[ QUOTE ]
Individual entries in black ink (Pilot P-500, enables you to write hella tiny), page totals in pencil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the P-500 the smallest pen you can find? The one I use bleeds out a little too wide for my liking. I can write neat and small, when when the o ends up looking like a filled circle, and the same as a letter c after the bleeding on the page, it doesn't do much. If I don't press down, it just leaves a trace on the page, and I can write smaller, but it doesn't always write all the way and skips a bit.

I use a Uniball Micro (think it is like .3mm or whatever the smallest I could find), black ink.

[ QUOTE ]
I would use pen for all entries. Your logbook is actually a legal document, providing proof of flight times for obtaining federally supplied certificates. So pen provides a permanent entry that cannot be altered. Also, I'd recommend refrain from using white out... just make a double strikeout on the error, correct it, and initial next to the error. I have a dozen or so small errors in my logbook, and that's how I corrected them.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree 100%, Matt.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the P-500 the smallest pen you can find? The one I use bleeds out a little too wide for my liking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small enough for ya?

logbook.jpg

(Middle is my handwriting, top and bottom is my CFI's chickenscratch)

I was going to show a picture of my old logbook but when I realized I have no idea where it is... uh oh!

well, I am sure this is old hat to lots of JC'ers, but I am about to finish the last page of my first logbook and I am pretty damn happy about it
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Aloft: Impressive!

I can only usually fit 2 lines in that space.

[/ QUOTE ]
Before becoming a pilot, Aloft had a job with the US Mint hand-writting the dates on all US coins
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
somewhere I thought I learned that the FAA was frowning on white-out (or green-out for that matter) in favor of striking through a correction, as mentioned above. I suppose this might fall into the category of different answer from each FSDO???

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people say this, and I have never seen the reason for it. If you think about it, there is nothing to stop you from cheating other than your conscience. There is really no assurance that an entry is truthful just because it is not written on a previous error covered with correction fluid. The most common error to be corrected is addition errors at the bottom of the page. This can be easily verified with a calculator.

Even if the FAA 'frowns' on this, so what? I doubt that most enforcement actions hinge on a single log book entry. The most common problem would probably be not being current and this is easily fixed without the use of correction fluid. It is rather easy to just write in few extra landings...

Back