Lockheed “Darkstar”

Disregard it’s just the movie prop from Top Gun 2
I’m so disappointed in you…

ACE7CDE5-09F7-4BB9-AE47-97E22C2CF1B8.gif

Disregard it’s just the movie prop from Top Gun 2

Don’t worry they tricked China too! ;)

How do you survive an ejection at mach 10?

There was an SR-71 pilot named Bill Weaver who actually did survive an in flight breakup at Mach 3. He blacked out, woke up and realized that while his helmet had frozen over he was floating in a debris field that used to be the airplane because he could hear his seat belt straps flapping in the breeze. It’s a pretty big jump from mach 3 to mach 10 but crazy things do happen. (And unfortunately his back seater didn’t make it.)

At Mach 10, pilat would experience a stagnation temperature around 4500 K. They would incandesce bluer than a “warm” LED bulb.

Yep excellent point. Some pretty incredible engineering went into the X-15 ejection seat and it was a mach 6.7 airplane (and that was probably outside the parameters of the seat). At Mach 10 you’d probably be in F-111 style escape capsule territory.

As told by Jim Tuttle in his book Eject!: The Complete History of U.S. Aircraft Escape Systems, David Clark’s MC-2 pressure suit was the key to making an open-faced ejection at high Mach and high altitudes possible. It not only protected the pilot from the extreme windblast of hitting the airstream at Mach 3+, it also functioned as a pressure suit to protect the X-15 pilot at altitudes in excess of 250,000 feet. Despite the advanced nature of the pressure suit, it was understood that kinetic heating during a high-Mach ejection would probably result in mild burns to the head, knees, and toes which in effect projected into the airstream.

To prevent the flailing of the arms and legs during a high-Mach ejection, special articulated restraints would protect the pilot’s legs and feet (also acting as a windblast deflector to minimize heat burns on the feet) as well as to the arms and hands. The articulated arms deployed gauntlets to protect the pilot’s hands from aerodynamic heating as well.

Once the articulated arms deployed into place, the emergency oxygen supply took over pressurization of the suit and a heating unit activated to keep the pilot’s helmet visor clear of ice. Once the canopy was blown off and the seat traveled up the rails, special wings on the sides of the seat deployed to stabilize the seat in the high-Mach airstream. In a conventional ejection seat, a drogue chute would be deployed to slow the seat down but at the X-15’s speeds, such a chute would have melted instantly, so the X-15’s seat deployed a pair of telescopic booms that projected aft and outward from the bottom of the seat to provide aerodynamic braking and helped the wings stabilize the seat.

Blue Thunder was so much cooler than Airwolf. It was bulletproof! And no cellos. Who's with me? Anyone? Hello? *tap tap*. This thing on?

Air Wolf looks cool even either as Air Wolf or when it’s just some plain Jane Bell 222….

Blue Thunder didn’t even look good as Blue Thunder, not to even mention how damned ugly it was underneath that sheet metal prosthetic disaster….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep excellent point. Some pretty incredible engineering went into the X-15 ejection seat and it was a mach 6.7 airplane (and that was probably outside the parameters of the seat). At Mach 10 you’d probably be in F-111 style escape capsule territory.
The F-111 was an amazing aircraft, most feared and hated aircraft in the Cold War.

A friend of mine has 3,600 hours in one. Says heading for Libya was scary, but Mach 1.5, 200 feet above the ocean at night was terrifing.

Last edited:
Blue Thunder was so much cooler than Airwolf. It was bulletproof! And no cellos. Who's with me? Anyone? Hello? *tap tap*. This thing on?
Air Wolf looks cool even either as Air Wolf or when it’s just some plain Jane Bell 222….

Blue Thunder didn’t even look good as Blue Thunder, not to even mention how damned ugly it was underneath that sheet metal prosthetic disaster….

I'm going to reference Mimi from Riptide.

I'm more of a fan of the original B-1 Ejection pod.

It didn't work, but I liked it.
The challenger crew capsule made it out of that deflagration intact and protected the crew all the way to impact with the ocean. Granted that was mach 1.92. I'd have to looks into columbia to see what the investigation found there.

The F-111 was an amazing aircraft, most feared and hated aircraft in the Cold War.

A friend of mine has 3,600 hours in one. Says heading for Libya was scary, but Mach 1.5, 200 feet above the ocean at night was terrifing.

Honestly any speed low in the dark over the water is terrifying.

Even with night vision goggles, flying over large bodies of water is like being over a black hole. There is a reason we are required to fly with altitude holds and radar cues in that environment. The hall I used to train in was named after a dude that flew it into the water in the dark.

Back