Local Partnership VS ATP

thepedroid

I’m back!!! Again… for like the third or fourth time lol.

I have been very slowly accumulating flight time flying part 61 with a local instructor. When I say slowly, I mean painfully slowly. My very first flight ever was 8/7/13 and 4.5 years later, I am at a lowly 42 hours. I had several reasons why I wouldn’t train consistently but now, I am pretty much at my wits end with my job. I am turning 36 this year, and need to get off my ass and get my career change going.

I am highly considering quitting my job in October so that I can train full time so that I can hopefully be at a regional by the end of 2020. I have enough saved up now to cover my expenses for over a year, but am waiting until October as that will be the 5 year mark at my current company and would offer me a much better opportunity to come back as a back up plan. Also I will continue to save even more in the next 6 months. I would do a HELOC on my home to cover the cost of training.

I am considering two options.
1) go to ATP and knock it out
2) join a local partnership and do my best to follow an ATP style training program.

The partnership has a 9k buy in. $60 per month fixed fee, $30 per tach hour + fuel. My instructor charges $60 per hour based on engine time. I would get through my commercial and CFI/CFII, then sell my share and use that 9k to buy ME time (or find a multi engine partnership).

ATP we all know is about 64k after all check rides and exams. I haven’t been able to determine if that is before or after tuition reimbursement from an airline.

My main questions are this.
1. If I continue part 61, do you think I still have the same shot at getting hired by a large flight school that works the crap out of you to build time fast (ATP, aeroguard, westwind, CAE…etc…)?
2. Do you think it is possible to follow a similar structure to ATP and get all ratings done within 6-9 months in a part 61 format?
3. If you had the opportunity to take a year off with no income (aside from some door dashing here and there) and go full time flight training, ATP, or partnership? All opinions welcome.

What do ya’ll think? Also, when are we having another Phoenix Meet and greet to grab some beers? :)

I’m currently in the private stage at ATP, so I don’t have a lot of time behind me. But I can at least take a stab at a couple parts...

ATP we all know is about 64k after all check rides and exams. I haven’t been able to determine if that is before or after tuition reimbursement from an airline.

Before reimbursement.

If I continue part 61, do you think I still have the same shot at getting hired by a large flight school that works the crap out of you to build time fast (ATP, aeroguard, westwind, CAE…etc…)?

Used to be ATP only wanted their own for CFIs. But a couple weeks ago, ads were posted for external candidates. I know our local school is really short staffed and it’s affecting training. Demand is pretty high.

Whether that will be the case in a year, I don’t know.

If you had the opportunity to take a year off with no income (aside from some door dashing here and there) and go full time flight training, ATP, or partnership? All opinions welcome.

This is exactly what I’m doing right now, down to the age. One reason I chose ATP was that I had no time to waste.

It is time demanding. Aside from the occasional Amazon Flex gig, I don’t have time for much other than flying, studying, and sometimes seeing my family.

Ask me again in a couple years whether I’d have done it differently. So far, so good. It’s not perfect, but from what I’ve gathered, there are ups and downs to every path. This was the best one for me. PM if you want to talk about the personal side of it or anything.

1. If I continue part 61, do you think I still have the same shot at getting hired by a large flight school that works the crap out of you to build time fast (ATP, aeroguard, westwind, CAE…etc…)?
2. Do you think it is possible to follow a similar structure to ATP and get all ratings done within 6-9 months in a part 61 format?
3. If you had the opportunity to take a year off with no income (aside from some door dashing here and there) and go full time flight training, ATP, or partnership? All opinions welcome.

Quick answers. #1 - yes, same shot, no worries, everyone needs CFIs right now. That isn't changing anytime soon, especially in Arizona or Florida.

#2 - Might take a few months longer, might not. A few months make zero difference in the grand scheme of things.

#3 - Don't take a year off. It is easy to get burned out doing anything. Flying isn't going anywhere, enjoy the ride

Thank you! As for the year off, really I would hope to be done in 8-9 months and then back to working again hopefully as a CFI.

I've also started to look at a couple schools at Scottsdale Airport. www.sierracharlieaviation.com and http://www.aerodyneflight.com . Going to setup some meetings in the next week to see how the costs stack up to ATP after the reimbursements.

Cost is one thing, but I also don't necessarily want to ruin the fun of flying by being told where to go and when to go (ATP dispatch). As for getting burned out, that's how I feel about my current job.

Thank you! As for the year off, really I would hope to be done in 8-9 months and then back to working again hopefully as a CFI.

I've also started to look at a couple schools at Scottsdale Airport. www.sierracharlieaviation.com and http://www.aerodyneflight.com . Going to setup some meetings in the next week to see how the costs stack up to ATP after the reimbursements.

Cost is one thing, but I also don't necessarily want to ruin the fun of flying by being told where to go and when to go (ATP dispatch). As for getting burned out, that's how I feel about my current job.
I worked with Sierra Charlie a few summers ago. Small world.

Sounds like you're in AZ. I did accelerated training at a traditional school at DVT, but traveling from overseas, I kinda had to. Save up for a rating, take leave and get it knocked out. I am debt free, but it took 5 years from PPL to CFI.

ATP is not ideal but it's the only way to do it that fast. What's the need to go that fast though?

ATP is not ideal but it's the only way to do it that fast. What's the need to go that fast though?

Knowing myself and my track record of doing it on the side (42 hours in almost 5 years) I feel like the career change would be easier that way. For me at least. Yes, I am in AZ.

I’m currently in the private stage at ATP, so I don’t have a lot of time behind me. But I can at least take a stab at a couple parts...

Before reimbursement.

Used to be ATP only wanted their own for CFIs. But a couple weeks ago, ads were posted for external candidates. I know our local school is really short staffed and it’s affecting training. Demand is pretty high.

Whether that will be the case in a year, I don’t know.

This is exactly what I’m doing right now, down to the age. One reason I chose ATP was that I had no time to waste.

It is time demanding. Aside from the occasional Amazon Flex gig, I don’t have time for much other than flying, studying, and sometimes seeing my family.

Ask me again in a couple years whether I’d have done it differently. So far, so good. It’s not perfect, but from what I’ve gathered, there are ups and downs to every path. This was the best one for me. PM if you want to talk about the personal side of it or anything.
How do you like ATP so far?

Back