Loadmaster position!

JGriffis

Okay for all you loadmasters or anyone with experience with the ANG, see if you can help me out a bit! There are opening(s) at my local Airlift unit for loadmaster(s)....not sure how many, maybe just 1. I was just wondering how you would go about trying to land that position or job? Will being a student pilot help me at all, or will it just let them know that I do love and have a strong desire to fly? All of your help is appreciated. My dad was a chief at this sqadron for 27 years, and he is trying to help too, but I figured you guys could give me some pretty good advice...thanks!

I'm no load, but you will be a step ahead of anyone else by having your dad being one of "the boys". ANG and Reserve units tend to be close knit since they don't rotate people in all the time like active duty. I would visit the unit and speak with the Chief Loadmaster about your interest in being a load before they start interviewing other people.

Don't mention that you are a pilot, it will actually hurt you. Lots of people use the loadmaster spot as a stepping stone to becoming a pilot in the AF. That's fine, just dont let them know that in the interview. Mention that you love traveling and you like challenging work. Which unit and airplane are you trying for?

Hootie9750 is right! As long as you score well enough on the ASVAB and pass your physical you should be fine. I enlisted last June as a loadmaster. Not much to it. Good luck with your decision.

Ok I met with the Chief Loadmaster today. He said that "normally" they were looking for a prior service person to fill the position, but since my dad was a chief in their unit that he would consider me for the positon. I have to take a third class flight physical, what is that like? Also what do your ASVAB scores have to be like? Thanks again for your help.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I met with the Chief Loadmaster today. He said that "normally" they were looking for a prior service person to fill the position, but since my dad was a chief in their unit that he would consider me for the positon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Love it. He's just pulling your noodle. One of the better younger crew chiefs in my unit was speaking at his dads retirement (a chief) last month and told this hilarious story about when he had just graduated from high school and was just begging to be a flight line crew chief and how the line supervisor told him something like " well, we have a lot of guys who really want that job and I don't know if we can take a chance on you, but your dad was really good for us, so I think we might be able to pull some strings". Then as the years past he realized they have to take anybody with both eyes and a ged.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You think he was just making the positon more "appealing" to me or what??

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, nothing wrong with him doing a little bit of that. Have you been to meps yet? Set up with your recruiter to swear in at the next UTA? Somebody else getting on the ball before you is what is going to keep you out of becoming a load.

I have a meeting Tuesday morning at 6:30 A.M. Asvab is already taken...just doing a class 3 flight physical. What can I expect from that?

Back