Living on a jetBlue plane - COMMUTING

JaceTheAce

According to Lydia at the jetBlue crew support hotline, in the last year I have flown 57 SAN-JFK or JFK-SAN legs on jetBlue. Assuming that the average SAN-JFK and SAN-JFK flight is 5.5 hours, I come up with these statistics:

Total hours spent on a jetBlue plane: 313 hrs and 30 minutes
Total days of my life spent in the last year on a jetBlue plane: 13 days and 1.5 hours

So for almost half a month of my life has been wasted commuting... on jetBlue alone. That doesn't account the other airlines I've rode on to get to and from work!

Commuting sucks... but there's no way I'm leaving San Diego LOL.

Why not Skywest again?

Good question...and one that I still ask myself from time to time. One big reason was that the wife and I were kind of ready to leave CA. It has its large share of problems and the cost of living is outrageous..and getting higher with the budget that just passed (more tax increases). I didn't care what I flew, but I would have been driving 3+ hours down to Fresno to fly the Bro, and being our goal to leave CA, that wouldn't help. When I was hired at RAH, I knew I'd be in DEN within 6 months, and that only being a 2 hour commute, that was more appealing than SKW. At the time I started interviewing, I wanted XJT and XJT only. I wanted to fly for their branded op down in ONT and am "technically" in their hiring pool (though that pool is no doubt long gone). I was also short about 50 total hours when I started interviewing and was short about 40 hours of instrument time that SKW wanted as well. So...that's the short version of it...

This thread got me thinking on how many times I'd flown on Delta from Dec 07 till Oct 08 (when I went on leave)...I stopped counting at 62...and now that I'm back at Horizon, that number is only going to go up.

Thankfully Delta has some wonderful flight crews (Air Tran, too!), and the AVOD system makes the 5/6 hours to PDX/SEA that much easier.

In about the last month I've flown/rode on 46 legs covering over 51,000 miles. Enough to round the world twice and then some.

Searching for apartments in New York City yesterday left me contemplating taking on a coast-to-coast commute and a move to sunny San Diego.

Searching for apartments in New York City yesterday left me contemplating taking on a coast-to-coast commute and a move to sunny San Diego.

Yeah... in NYC a $2,500/mo 2-bedroom/2-bath, plus $2,500 1st month's rent, plus $2,500 last month's rent, plus $2,500 deposit, plus $2,500 realtor fee (why the f does NYC have these stupid realtor fees?) equals $12,500 in cash that you have to front to get into an apartment. Reason #1 that I don't live where I'm based. Reason #2 is NYC has the ####tiest weather year round.

Back