Line Service Question: "Tabs"

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
When you're a newbie line service guy, do they teach you what "to the tabs" means?

The last two times I've purchased fuel in the Arrow, I've specifically asked for the airplane to be fueled to the tabs.

I've been topped off each time.

There is a difference between not knowing, and not remembering the correct fuel order. I would talk to the manager about the consistent mis-fueling but to the tabs is a pretty straightforward order.

I got taught it on the first day I started to fuel, but I was a pilot already so the terminology was familiar. However, I am guessing that the order wasn't remember correctly. It is always good to double check with the linemen to make sure they know what you mean. I worked with some real unique characters, I was surprised they could put their clothes on in the morning.

That's a Piper-ism and I bet a lot of people just aren't familiar with the terminology. Side note, I absolutely love the Cherokee family.

That's a Piper-ism and I bet a lot of people just aren't familiar with the terminology. Side note, I absolutely love the Cherokee family.

I'm developing a sound appreciation for them. The PA-28R I've been flying is a lovely machine. Fairly quick and efficient for an entry-level cruiser. I'm hoping to take one from DC to Orlando in a couple of weeks.

Well, on Thursday I told a fueller at Signature STP I didn't need gas, to which he decided I needed a top off with prist. 190 gallons later I was glad to not be the one paying the bill.

Well, on Thursday I told a fueller at Signature STP I didn't need gas, to which he decided I needed a top off with prist. 190 gallons later I was glad to not be the one paying the bill.
I mean if you told them not to fuel it.... It could be entirely possible that you can not longer take off from that airport and have to de-fuel. All on them.

I mean if you told them not to fuel it.... It could be entirely possible that you can not longer take off from that airport and have to de-fuel. All on them.

Yup. But it's a Pilatus on a 6,500' runway and 3 aboard. The only thing it meant was we got to tanker expensive gas instead of waiting till we got back to base where we pay el cheapo. Our management has no problems with us buying the spendy gas when we need it, but they aren't fond of taking on gas at certain airports "just because." an email from myself to said management cleared up any confusion with that. I'm still wondering why, if all he heard (in his words) was "I need gas" he 1. didn't stop to ask how much, and 2. How he knew to put in the additive. #2 is the main head scratcher.

When you're a newbie line service guy, do they teach you what "to the tabs" means?

The last two times I've purchased fuel in the Arrow, I've specifically asked for the airplane to be fueled to the tabs.

I've been topped off each time.
Yet another good reason to ALWAYS personally monitor your fueling ops... no matter how dinky the plane.

In reality, tabs is a really arbitrary way of measuring fuel quantity. I've noticed in most Archers, that the very bottom of the tabs is 34 gallons. Most fuelers at least cover the tabs and this puts it over 34 gallons. Most of the time when people call for a top off on an Archer that is already at at tabs, it only takes 10-11 gallons, when in reality it should take 16 gallons.

In reality, tabs is a really arbitrary way of measuring fuel quantity. I've noticed in most Archers, that the very bottom of the tabs is 34 gallons. Most fuelers at least cover the tabs and this puts it over 34 gallons. Most of the time when people call for a top off on an Archer that is already at at tabs, it only takes 10-11 gallons, when in reality it should take 16 gallons.
It works well enough.

Back