Lightspeed 25XL's Value

triplec76

Lightspeed 25XL\'s Value

My local FBO has a pair of these that have been sitting in the display case for a while now. Lightspeed doesnt even make them anymore, but the original list price was about $550. They have $420 tagged on them, but I was wondering if they are even woth that much.

Since they were the only pair they had laying around, they have been tried by a few pilots that were interested, which means they had those earpieces on their sweaty heads.
tongue.gif
I am just wondering if they are even really worth $420. I dont know if you can buy new earpieces (seals, pads, whatever) for them, but the headset itself is in new shape.

What do you guys think?

Re: Lightspeed 25XL\'s Value

Heya,

I paid $450 for a pair of Lightspeed Twenty 3G's, which is the next line that came after the XL's. I wouldn't personally pay that much for that headset. You can get newer headsets for nearly the same price.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Thanks John...where did you get the Twenty 3Gs for that price? It would be a lot easier to talk him down if I had something to actually reference to. I looked them up on Ebay but no one is selling 25XLs there right now. Also, new earpieces are $30.00 directly from Lightspeed.

One other thing...the Twenty 3G's replaced the 20XL, so theoretically the 25XLs would be worth more in new value (if they were produced at the same time). Obviously the 3G's have more technology thrown into them, but Im trying to compare apples to apples here. Problem is, I dont have anything to compare the 25XLs to because I dont think they were replaced with any of the 3G line. Im suppose to call back this afternoon after he looks them up in the computer to see "what they have in them". I used to sell cars a long time ago, I know that dirty old trick.
smile.gif

Heya,

heh, I picked them up from Munley Smith Aviation in Bay City, Michigan. They don't do mail order stuff though. You can find Twenty 3G's for $460 at Marv Golden's, and I think you can find some place else that will sell them for a few bucks less.

The differences between the 25XL and a 3G series headset? Little. But for something that's been on a few people's heads, and is aging I wouldn't go and invest that kind of money in it. I'd want to pickup something newer that's going to have a good warrenty on it (I dunno what Lightspeed's position is on that stuff, so it might be a mute point).

That's just how I look at things. If you don't want to spend the extra $40 a newer headset then that's your call to make. I wouldn't feel TOO pressured to buy right now because there are other deals to be had on headset's that are just as good.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

If you are looking for a good pair of Lightspeeds for a little cheaper, I have the 20xl 2. I have had them a few months and they are extremely comftorable. You should be able to find them new for just under $400.

Welp, scratch that idea. I called him back and he said that they originally had $475 in them and someone made a mistake marking them down to $420. He said he would sell them to me at that price, but I obviously got the hint that it wouldnt be lower than that.

Ah well, they are his headsets to do whatever he wants with them, but obviously if they havent sold at $420 in the past 6 months (at least), they arent going to sell if he puts them back up to $475 or whatever he is going to mark them up at.

I will be looking around for an ANR headset, I already had an offer from someone to sell me their 20XL2's.

Such is life.
smile.gif

Back