lightning strike

Cool Video! We used to get hit by lighting alot. It feels like a someone is thumping on the plane. When we landed once I looked at the bottom of the wing and saw what looked like a one inch spot weld mark, I went on top of the wing and there was a spot just like the one on the bottom; the damn lighting bolt had gone right through the fuel tank.

So does lightning cause any problems for planes? I would think it would, or at least could. But judging by how casual this conversation is going it appears to me that it may not. Just curious.

[ QUOTE ]
So does lightning cause any problems for planes? I would think it would, or at least could. But judging by how casual this conversation is going it appears to me that it may not. Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got hit in the radome in a 1900 and it blew a hole in it. Pretty sick!

I but transport-category jets get hit all the time. I'll have to bring you some pictures of how some of the metal is etched on the fuselage on some jets.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to bring you some pictures of how some of the metal is etched on the fuselage on some jets.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be very cool Doug!

But on most occasions, is lightning not a bid deal for airplanes? If it is, I have to say I don't appreciate the fact I've landed at airports during lightning (when flying commercially I mean, no non-VFR flying for me!).

[ QUOTE ]
But on most occasions, is lightning not a bid deal for airplanes? If it is, I have to say I don't appreciate the fact I've landed at airports during lightning (when flying commercially I mean, no non-VFR flying for me!).

[/ QUOTE ]

I say over a six year period, we got hit over a hundred times (EP-3) and not once did it cause any substantial system problems. Like Doug said, we ended up with holes in the radomes on occasion. The turbulance associated with the storm is the worst. On many occasions I watched the Pilot sweating his A#&S off just trying to keep the plane somewhat level, and I mean somewhat, the altitude was usually out of control, up and down 5000 feet within seconds. Meanwhile every caution and warning light in the flight station would be flashing on and off.

We knew we were getting into crap when ST Elmo's fire would start appearing on the windscreen. It looks really cool but you knew you were approaching a T-Storm with a lot of static electricty in it.

For some reason the CRJ is a lightning MAGNET! We strikes on them all the time. Disproportionately more then on the 146's and I haven't heard of one of our D328's getting blasted in a good long time.. Though we don't have alot of time left to get them struck. <grin>

That being said, one of our 146's took a shot about two weeks ago right on the nose. Crew was seeing stars to the point where we grounded them and sent them to the doctor. It might not "zap" you, but you ARE still looking at the surface of the sun, if you happen to be looking right at it when it happens!

P.

Back