Light Signal "Gun Test" SODA

Wm226

Light Signal \"Gun Test\" SODA

Do you think possessing a SODA for passing the light signal gun test will prevent one from being hired in an airline?

Re: Light Signal \"Gun Test\" SODA

heres a list of the possible alternate tests you can take. just give your local FSDO a call and they can tell you where to take them or you can call local optomotrists and ask if they have the tests and then mail the results off to the FAA. If you don't pass one of them just try a few more all you need is to pass one. I would try to avoid a SODA if at all possible. (at least thats what AOPA told me) The AOPA is a great resource to help you out.

alternate test

hope this helps if you have any more questions you can PM me.
I just spent 4 months going through the whole FAA waiting for results and alternate test thing. but it all worked out for the best i finally got my first class. the key is when dealing with the FAA is to be patient.I took the original Ishira test with the AME and didn't pass it. Then I took the AOC-HRR test and passed it just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think possessing a SODA for passing the light signal gun test will prevent one from being hired in an airline?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am scheduled for this next Thursday. I was told and it is in writing that this is a lifteime SODA. My flight surgeon informed me that once he has that for all subsequent Class 1's the night flight restriction will never apear therefore it should never come up in an interview. Of course if you faile for other reasons it won't matter. Any one of the pauid professionals with 1st hand experience?

Thanks for the replies.

I tried taking the Farnsworth Lantern, but I missed 3 (only allowed to miss 2 - dammit missed by 1).

For now, I think I will take the SODA (will setup appointment tomorrow). However, when I get enough money to pay for another trip to take the Farnsworth (assuming I pass), can the SODA be overwritten?

Thanks,
William

the Farnsworth didn't cost me anything to take up in Seattle at Swedish Medical center. I heard that alot of military bases have one. If you look around you shouldn't have to pay for one. Also i failed the Farnsworth Lantern but passed the AOC-HRR test to get my first class and have a letter to present to the AME to exempt me from taking the colorblindness part.

Wow, I got ripped then... the doctor charged me $150.00 for a test.
mad.gif

I also dod the Farnsworth test. I failed it the first time but the Doc was nice enough to give me a 10 minute break and we came back and did it again....you actually get better the more you do it! Oh, and while I was there I got an eye exam so the whole thing got covered by insurance. Pretty sweet!

After several attempts to take the Farnsworth Lantern Test, I finally decided to take the Light Signal "Gun Test" two days ago, in which I passed.

I am happy to say that if you successfully pass the first time, it is NOT considered a "Waiver" or "SODA"
smile.gif

Thank You for your help guys!

Just to add: Be cautious when you are asking Pilot Medical Solutions for help... I was foolish to pay $1000.00 from listening to their sales talk, renting a Farnsworth Lantern, and paying for "paperwork fees". After they collected my $$$... they never returned phone calls and wouldn't answer any of my questions straight up.

This experience definitely made me more cautious of who I should trust.

[ QUOTE ]
I am happy to say that if you successfully pass the first time, it is NOT considered a "Waiver" or "SODA" .

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it considered, did they give you anything exempting you from futher color tests? I did the same thing and have another slip of paper that I thought was/is a SODA?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am happy to say that if you successfully pass the first time, it is NOT considered a "Waiver" or "SODA" .

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it considered, did they give you anything exempting you from futher color tests? I did the same thing and have another slip of paper that I thought was/is a SODA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it exempts me from further color tests. There is a short statement in this letter that says: "You do not require a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (waiver)." Therefore, I am not sure what this letter would be referred to as.

Does anyone know?

I have the same letter after passing the Farnsworth...it is considered a waiver and not a SODA.

Funny thing is that it exempts me from ever having to take a color test with my questionable color vision...but normal people have to take one every time they have a medical!

I passed the Farnsworth and am awaiting my letter from the FAA. I think we should start a thread with locations that administer the test to help other users. It took me forever to find someone. I'll start that now!

[ QUOTE ]
I passed the Farnsworth and am awaiting my letter from the FAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

prepare to wait about 3 or 4 months.

If you call and nag them (nicely) it gets expedited....Mine Did and it took only about 6 weeks. I told them I needed it in order to start school and they said" Oh OK. We haven't even looked at it yet but we'll take it out of the general pile and put it in the expeditied file"

Back