Life Insurance

Fly_Unity

Im a 31 year old 135/corporate pilot, married with one baby girl on the way. Im looking for affordable term life insurance.

I applied at a few places, and the instant you put that your a pilot, the rate doubles or even triples.

Im not an AOPA member, but they have something that seemed pretty affordable. Just curious what others are doing in this area.

Ben

If you're an ATP flying mostly twin and turbine 135 scheds it drops dramatically. I paid out the nose at first but after a couple years, getting the ATP, getting away from private flying, and flying safer equipment I'm much more in line with non-pilots (though being a male in Alaska I'm still way higher than my wife).

You can get an exception for anything caused by aviation accidents. I'm covered at work for twice my annual salary and I have my own for outside of aviation stuff.

Even though I am an ATP and do fly turbines, I also fly piston singles, which brings the rates right back up. Also I want to be covered for aviation. I want my baby girl to be able to grow up should something happen.

Even though I am an ATP and do fly turbines, I also fly piston singles, which brings the rates right back up. Also I want to be covered for aviation. I want my baby girl to be able to grow up should something happen.
Something to think about... There's a reason those rates are high.

In my opionion it is biased. No more dangerous than when I did construction, roofing, and logging. But them fields are not even asked on insurance forms.
Umm...which company? Because it was definitely on there when I last did mine. If nothing else they ask you your occupation on there.

Umm...which company? Because it was definitely on there when I last did mine. If nothing else they ask you your occupation on there.

I used Zander which I filled out a form and got quotes from a host of companies. I was mostly curious about AOPA's insurance, to see if there were any reviews on that if there were any others that pilots used that were popular.

My wife set me up with a policy through State Farm.

The survey was straight forward once the occupation was disclosed, then more questions about that. Do you have an ATP, what ratings, do you attend regular training, annual flight hours, do you fly outside of work, if so what - such as airplanes/ helicopters/ seaplanes/ anything experimental.... Nothing about recreational activities such as skydiving or motorcycle riding.

Afterwards the quote wasn't much more than the average joe. In fact it is close to my wife's and her only risky behavior is scuba diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine through AOPA. No aviation exclusions, and it was really close to the same price State Farm quoted with the aviation exclusion. Like within $10/yr close.

My Rep from State Farm came into FlightSafety to meet me/ take care of some policy documents... I chuckled a bit when she was surprised that I was a pilot...

I used Zander which I filled out a form and got quotes from a host of companies. I was mostly curious about AOPA's insurance, to see if there were any reviews on that if there were any others that pilots used that were popular.

I'm resurrecting this thread, only because I just went through the buying process again. I called Zander (among others), and as a 121 pilot, there was no aviation exclusion or increase in premiums. They also managed to get me 50% more insurance (what I was shopping for) for almost the same price on 20yr level term.

Excellent customer service, and my wife and I both have our life insurance through Zander now.

I had no luck with Zander. Once they found out I was a 135 pilot, prices shot through the roof.

However I found Harvey Watt, and prices were half of anybody else. I pay 21.09 per month for $750,000 for me, and it covers my wife, and my baby! They are designed specifically for pilots. Called them up and talked with them (who are also pilots). Had a great experience!

http://harveywatt.com/insurance-plans-and-rates/term-life-insurance

I had no luck with Zander. Once they found out I was a 135 pilot, prices shot through the roof.

However I found Harvey Watt, and prices were half of anybody else. I pay 21.09 per month for $750,000 for me, and it covers my wife, and my baby! They are designed specifically for pilots. Called them up and talked with them (who are also pilots). Had a great experience!

Underwriting might take more time for pilots, but in general - it shouldn't be much more expensive than it would be for anyone else (assuming 1,000+ hours, advanced ratings, not flying airshows, etc).

Back