Life Choice

go atc, like doug said in the midwest there are lots of pilot/ controller conversations/networking. Where I fly lots of the regular pilots talk to the controllers by their first names. One time late at night as the tower and approach for an airport I was flying over was shutting down, a pilot landing at the airport asked the controller when he would be off work, the pilot I guess knew the controller was working on his multi and asked if he wanted to fly the baron while he watched on his next leg to chicago in thirty minutes. plus you'll actually have an income which is rare for newbies in the industry right now.

Neil,

The big question that I don't think that you addressed is how close you are to meeting airline hiring requirements.

Assuming that you are a low time pilot, I would probably opt for the ATC job, while training on the side. I believe that ATC pays a lot better than most CSR jobs and is without the constant threat of furloughs. You can put this extra money to good use paying for multi-enigne time and saving enough to get you through a few years of CFI/FO poverty.

Additionally, working ATC would have the added advantage of giving you a lot of experience on the workings of the IFR system that any pilot would find valuable.

If you already have a fair amount of flight time and only need a commercial license and a few more hours to be marketable as an airline pilot, then you might want to consider completing your training and sending out resumes before giving your name to the FAA. If you go a year or so without getting close to a flying job, then you are still within the window of preferred hiring for ATC and you can revert back to plan A(bove).

Good luck.

Guys:

First off, I want to say that I appreciate all your comments on the subject. Some have been very carefully thought out. Thanks for the time to answer my questions.

Secondly, I want to say that I'm really highly considering some of your ideas out there. You've made me believe that taking the ATC route would be the best option. I believe that as well. I will probably be taking this road once I graduate. However, I still feel that I'm "boxing" myself in. I'm the type of person where I set goals and I really, really hate not achieving them or at least changing them.

Thridly, someone asked about my experience level so here it is. I'm still a private/instrument and I'm nearing completion of my commerical. I should have that in hand this summer, if all goes well. I do have my high performance, complex, and high altitude endorsements. I have around 350 hours, 30 of which is B727 sim time (my professor has said that I can log those hours -- who am I to argue?). I don't, as of yet, have the commerical, multi, or any of the CFIs. It is my goal to get those.

Forthly, (is that even a word) to be candid I'm a little frustrated at this point with my training. It's a time issue for me. I'm doing my training on the side, while a full time student, and I've had to cancel a number of lessons for homework, group projects, and tests. I feel that if I continue this way, progress will not be made. If I do take the ATC career track I'm really afraid that I won't have the time, or energy, to devote the time it will take to earn those ratings.

I'd only take the CSA job for about a year (the time it would take to raise the necessary funds) and then go to ATP to get my multi, and CFIs. It is important to understand here, I would have to move back in with the 'rents -- an option that I don't relish -- to save on living costs.

Let me wrap up by saying, I have taken all your comments to heart and I am truely considering taking the ATC option as many of you have suggested.

I have been pondering this scenario for months now. I haven't brought this up with my family because they don't seem to understand aviation and the processes of as much as you folks do. They'll see it from a purely financial standpoint; they want me to stable, well paying, career from the day I have that diploma. While I appreciate that, I don't want to be caught in a career track that is all of those mentioned things but be unhappy becuase I gave up my ulimate goal here.

Anyhow, that's enough from here. I'm rambling... I just thought you folks deserved a better understand of where I'm coming from. Again, I really appreciate the responses and all the help I've got here.

Thanks again!

I have thought about doing many different careers, but every time I weigh the pros and cons of something different, I know I'll be wishing I were in a cockpit. So if aviation is what you want to do, do it. Don't have any regrets.

Boy, ain't 'dat da trut!
smirk.gif
I'm in the same boat trying to weigh this apple against that Piper against...

Hard choices to be sure lower/higher income, job security, I can go on BUT, I think like you said , I'll always be wishing I was in the cockpit and I know that is where my heart is. I'm following my HEART, in spite of...

I'd definitely say go with ATC, make the big bucks for three or four years, build ratings and multi time on the side as DE727UPS suggests, and then bail on the FAA when you have all the cash you need to endure the crappy pay and furlough liklihoods you'll face in any cycle of the aviation industry.

Delaying entry into pro piloting by four years won't hurt you. Saving up cash when young and putting at least some of that away for retirement will help you immensely.

IMHO, at least! Good luck Neil.

Dang, I wish I could go back to college life... only graduated a year ago and I'm ready to return. So many possibilities at that stage in life!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the type of person where I set goals and I really, really hate not achieving them or at least changing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, take the ATC job. Set a goal that in 2-years you will quit working for ATC and will work full time on finishing up your ratings.
Save as much $ as you can, and fly a few times a month to stay current and to continue building hours.
I would definitely not believe that just because you start your career w/ ATC, that you must stay there the rest of your life.
I am a CPA and worked in the b-field for the last 10 years...I'm now working full time to be a professional pilot.
Furthermore, my first instructor was an old ATC guy...he loved it, but flying was his passion, so that is what he does now.
Good luck.

I believe that the ATC job is the way to go for the time being. I would have a stable job while having the money to go after my other ratings and keep current.

I want to thank all of you for helping me out here! Words cannot describe the gratitude I have.

I'll keep you guys current on what happens in the future! Who knows... I'll probably even write a column for Doug?

Back