thank you

anybody know anything about life at cal
schedules
qol
upgrade time(captain)
commuting
what do you think the company will be like in 10 years

thank you

Wouldn't be worried about upgrades when they're furloughing last I heard. As for what the company will be like in 10 years.....I can't even guess what it would be like in 2 years.

I took a look at your 4 other posts and it looks like the number one place you need to visit is the main page of this site (www.jetcareers.com) and the number two place you need to visit is the search function.

Not sure of your experience level but just poking around the forums for a few hours,days,weeks,months will give you more information then you ever wanted.

In todays market one could not even consider going to a place like CAL for lord knows how long so schedules etc are irrelvant.

The honest answer that you will find is repetetive in todays market
shedules-vary greatly
QOL-varies greatly
upgrade time-no one could even begin to guess
commuting-always miserable no matter what ALWAYS
ten years? I dont think you could find someone on this site that could guess what (insert ANY aviation related business here) will be doing in 1 year let alone 10

probably sounds standoffish but its the truth

Well first of all, Continental is about to furlough.

Second of all, if you're commuting to reserve in the 737, you will hate your life.

Third of all, it doesn't matter, because Continental is about to furlough and it'll be a different company by the time you want to apply.

anybody know anything about life at cal
schedules
qol
upgrade time(captain)
commuting
what do you think the company will be like in 10 years

thank you

Schedules? With pBS they suck if you are in the bottom 2/3rds of your base

QOL? Not heard of with pBS if you are in the bottom 2/3rds of your base

Upgrade time? Guys hired after 9/11 have upgraded. They will be back in the right seat by the end of the year. There is a reason 80% of the pilots on the list could be Captains.

Commuting? HA! EWR is junior for a reason

10 years? you might as well asked for the power ball numbers for saturday.

i have been looking but nothing is consistent enough to make a decision

A decision about what? To pursue a career in aviation with the ultimate goal of working for CAL, or to actually apply to CAL right now?

Well first of all, Continental is about to furlough.

Second of all, if you're commuting to reserve in the 737, you will hate your life.

Third of all, it doesn't matter, because Continental is about to furlough and it'll be a different company by the time you want to apply.
how do you figure you will hate your life by being reserve in the 73 and how do you know CAL will be a different company??????

how do you figure you will hate your life by being reserve in the 73 and how do you know CAL will be a different company??????

Justin covered most the bases, but I'll add a few other things.

---------------------------

Movable days off - The company can adjust all but six of your days off, and they will.

International flying - The company can give you your 24 hours rest anywhere south of the boarder, and therefor you'll do things like work 10 days straight while you're on reserve when you were scheduled for 6.

Low staffing - You'll fly 100 hours every month on reserve.

Not commutability - Everything in Newark has 5:30 a.m. go times and 11:00 p.m. end times, meaning you WILL commute in the day before and commute out the day after.

Short call reserve - You're on a 2 hour leash the entire month. Delta runs their reserve where you have 12 hours to get to the airport, and a 2 hour short call assignment is considered just that, an assignment. You'll be relegated to a crashpad for 18 days a month.

No health insurance for six months - Yup, you read that correctly.

$31 an hour - Yup, you read that one correctly too.

Scabs on your trips and doing your OE - Screw the '83 hires.

No soft time - It's almost impossible to get. You block 85 hours? You get paid 85 hours.

Training on days off - That's BS right there.

On international flying the "relief area" is the last row of seats in coach - Until recently, dead heads for international flights were paid at 50%, then 75%, and now are finally back up to 100% pay. Can you imagine the abuse that was happening when a company only has to pay you 50% for dead heads?

---------------------------

Continental has some of the worst work rules in the industry, be it regional or mainline. The way they treat their employees is, in my mind, downright criminal and I hope they get some of these problems fixed in the next contract.

But if history is any indicator of the future, nothing will change. The Continental pilot group has approved EVERY SINGLE TA THE FIRST TIME IT'S COME UP FOR A VOTE. They have never said, "Oh sorry, this isn't good enough, we want more." You NEVER approve the first offer when you're negotiating, it doesn't matter what it's for. You ALWAYS make the other guy up the offer. So if I had to take a bet, nothing will change. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope there are enough young, angry guys there that want to burn the place to the ground, but I don't think that'll be the case.

Every day I go to the crashpad, I'm glad I'm at Express and not Continental mainline. My QOL is WAY better at my regional than it would be at CAL.

No health insurance for six months - Yup, you read that correctly.

$31 an hour - Yup, you read that one correctly too.

Those two reasons right there are why a lot of the CAs I know at the regional level wouldn't even apply to CAL. I can handle the $31/hr first year as an FO if I plan ahead and save, but the 6 months w/o health insurance is a deal breaker for me. If my kid gets sick, I want insurance to help out, and COBRA is EXPENSIVE.

Training on days off - That's BS right there.

Thanks to the new PBS rules, we've pretty much been forced into that here now.....

Can you imagine the abuse that was happening when a company only has to pay you 50% for dead heads?

Don't need to. :) Actually, I probably get the shaft on that now that I think about it. 99.9% chance I won't break guarantee for the month, so they love DHing reserves around the system to work one leg, then DH them some where else, DH back, etc, etc.

Word holmes!

I've been doing a lot of dead heading recently, but that's just fine for me as it pays 100% flight pay. They want to ferry a plane somewhere, overnight and then dead head out the next day? Awesome! A night out of the pad, and I get full pay as if I did the turn.

But you'll get to work for this guy!

getAsset.aspx

Seriously though, after working at my current employer and dealing with Continental operations every day at work, I now have even less desire to work there than I did when I started. Its sad when one of their regional punching bags, I mean "partners", has a better pilot contract than mainline. (QOL, not pay obviously)

Well, just got back to the crash-pad from another aggravating trip. I better shut up before I say something a regret.

Oh yeah, one more thing: I love EWR Terminal A!:panic:

The people I know that went from the right seat at my company to the right seat at CAL are pretty happy. The others I know that went from the left seat here to the right seat there are pretty miserable. Go figure.

Back