Life at Compass

Andrew should be checking that now as well.......

.......unless he wants to spend a winter based in MSP.
thatll be the day. I'm pretty sure I'm safe in DTW. Unless for some crazy reason senior guys want DTW so they can sit reserve.

What are the chances of an LAX base when the shift to the west coast flying?
If there ever is one it wouldn't be until there is more flying announced out there and a long term plan. I would say it could be a while. Company is saying no LAX base in the immediate future.

Thanks for the insight fellas. What are the chances of a new hire getting MSP? How is reserve life? Is the PBS bidding set up relatively well? Is the ERJ170/175 as comfortable to fly as it is to ride on? Is Bob Thorton still a Captain there?

Thanks for the insight fellas. What are the chances of a new hire getting MSP? How is reserve life? Is the PBS bidding set up relatively well? Is the ERJ170/175 as comfortable to fly as it is to ride on? Is Bob Thorton still a Captain there?
MSP is 3 times the size of DTW so once the flow starts majority of the movement will be in MSP. Reserve is great if you live in base, a couple months ago I only worked 9 days. If you would commute it isn't too bad either. See above posts about scheduling working with you. PBS seems decent (only time I have used it). Very comfortable, my favorite part of the airplane is the fact that there is room up front for ALL your crap ( unless you are a big shot like one of the posters here and have a long haul bag) Don't see him on the list.

Last edited:
MSP is 3 times the size of DTW so once the flow starts majority of the movement will be in MSP. Reserve is great if you live in base, a couple months ago I only worked 9 days. If you would commute it isn't too bad either. See above posts about scheduling working with you. PBS seems decent (only time I have used it). Very comfortable, my favorite part of the airplane is the fact that there is room up front for ALL your crap ( unless you are a big shot like one of the posters here and have a long haul bag) Don't see him on the list.
Well when the rampers in IAD use your bag as a speed bump, you take what you can get. Everyone of the guys I fly with are more than understanding so it works out.

Well when the rampers in IAD use your bag as a speed bump, you take what you can get. Everyone of the guys I fly with are more than understanding so it works out.
Ugh, fine if you say so ;)

O forgot to add there is room up front for your hat too.

What are the chances of an LAX base when the shift to the west coast flying?

From what the CP said in indoc... probably not for a couple of years, and only if the flying out west increases. Might not be LA, or SFO, might be something a little farther inland thats closer to the other bases. That was just his 2 cents.

O forgot to add there is room up front for your hat too.

Priorities priorities...

Where are you in the process?

Life is fine here. As it was mentioned earlier they treat you better than a lot of other places. They have foresight for the most part which is huge for QOL purposes.

If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to address them the best I can.
How often do you fly?

Don't lie, you love it here. Especially sitting ready with DV. Plus, you'll be a captain before you know it when we get those United planes.

He was called out, but I still avoided the crew room like the plague. United airplanes? Are we officially merging with Mesa? I will be a capt. in no time then...

Have they started interviewing yet? Lots of former 121 I presume?

Yeah, they were supposed to start interviewing off the street this week for class dates. I talked to the recruiting lady last week, and the pool is completely dried up too. She said that they needed to hire 166 pilots, and that they only interviewed a small amount of people in Miami at the career fair a couple of weeks ago. I am sure for they will always be looking for prior 121, but I believe fairly soon that CFI's without prior 121 will be competitive just as well. If you meet the mins, throw your stuff as it never hurts. Hope this helps

Yeah, they were supposed to start interviewing off the street this week for class dates. I talked to the recruiting lady last week, and the pool is completely dried up too. She said that they needed to hire 166 pilots, and that they only interviewed a small amount of people in Miami at the career fair a couple of weeks ago. I am sure for they will always be looking for prior 121, but I believe fairly soon that CFI's without prior 121 will be competitive just as well. If you meet the mins, throw your stuff as it never hurts. Hope this helps
I'm a current 135 FO flying a PC12. Kind of the in between I guess? Also, still working on my degree. Don't have much going for me other than a few years in the Navy.

Back