Letter from the Federales. Help...

JordanD

Honorary Member
I got a letter in the mail back home from the local FSDO wanting me to present my certificates and logbooks for inspection... I'm pretty clueless as to where to go from here. I'm all the way across the country and can't just fly home on a whim to accommodate them. My first step is to call AOPA legal tomorrow, but is there anything else I should do before contacting the Feds back? As far as I know the letter got there Friday and I have 7 days to respond, so I should have a little time. Any advice? Freak the hell out or probably no big deal?

Ask them if you can bring them to a FSDO close to you and have an inspector there coordinate with the requesting office and look at them.

Why would they want to see them in the first place? Just curious. If that ever happened to me, I would be in serious trouble, as my logbook stopped being effective back in July......of 1995. I have been employed the whole time as a pilot, but can only take a HUGE ball park guess on times.

I won't go into a lot of detail, but it's probably related to an investigation of something that had nothing to do with me although I was signed off for a checkride/performed a BFR for someone involved.

I won't go into a lot of detail, but it's probably related to an investigation of something that had nothing to do with me although I was signed off for a checkride/performed a BFR for someone involved.
This is just how the FEDs work. If they are investigating someone/something, (or have already found something) they cast the net wide to include everyone who had any involvement, no matter how indirect or direct. Lawyer up asap. Hopefully you'll be fine, but don't dick around because they won't, believe me. Don't contact them until you speak to an attorney and then proceed as they advise you to. Try not to stress too much. Good luck, take a deep breath and hang in there.

Last edited:
Good move on the getting legal. And pretty much what Autothrust said. Although I always preferred the "three 'S'es". Ie. "Shoot, Shovel, Shut the (#*$ up"

If my dealings with the FAA are any indication, it really is probably "nothing", other than the potential for a heart attack. Be kind, courteous, forthcoming, and don't say poop about anything that isn't a direct answer to what they ask you. This, too, shall pass.

I've dealt with them in several investigations. Most of them are really easy to deal with as long as you comply. I'm assuming they gave you 30 days to comply and they probably don't care about where you/ your logbooks are relative to them. The suggestion of coordinating with a local FSDO might work though. Its a lot more work and red tape than you think for them to take any action against a certificate. Unless its real blatant and careless I wouldn't start applying at Costco just yet.

Like Itchy, my logbook is woefully out of date, but it does have endorsements, BFRs & IPC signoffs, but not the requisite 90 day/six months stuff. An FAA aeromedical buddy told me that I'll be OK for a ramp check so long as what I carry shows proficiency to do what I'm doing when they check me, and that is kept on individual flight logs that I create.

So back to the OP's question, why should I have to send anything other than copies of my most current BFR, IPC, and evidence of 90 days/six months currency?

So back to the OP's question, why should I have to send anything other than copies of my most current BFR, IPC, and evidence of 90 days/six months currency?

You dont have to log anything except what is required to prove aeronautical experience and training required for a certificate and that which proves your currency for the type of flight you are conducting... however, whatever you do log is subject to review at the request of Big Brother.

14 CFR 61.51(i)

(i) Presentation of required documents.
(1) Persons must present their pilot certificate, medical certificate, logbook, or any other record required by this part for inspection upon a reasonable request by—
(i) The Administrator;
(ii) An authorized representative from the National Transportation Safety Board; or
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.​

Back