Let's play a METAR Game

Isn't that tailwind out of limits for most jets? Off the top of my head I think the 737 can take a 10 knot tailwind.
dNfHNmb.gif

All tailwind limitations as far as I know are "max demonstrated" meaning that's all the manufacturer guarantees the aircraft being capable of sustaining. However, there technically is no physical limit to what tailwind an aircraft can endure on landing.
Sure there is. If you’re touching down above your rated tire speed, you’re gonna have a bad day.

All tailwind limitations as far as I know are "max demonstrated" meaning that's all the manufacturer guarantees the aircraft being capable of sustaining. However, there technically is no physical limit to what tailwind an aircraft can endure on landing.

Per my company Ops Specs, most of our fleet is 10kts max authorized, though some are 15kts,
My ride has a hard Limitation of 10 knots tailwind, both takeoff and landing. Crosswind is "max demonstrated" though.

Typical shenanigans. Here's how that phone call would go.

Dispatcher: "Hey, what runways are you using?"
Tower: "We are landing north, what with the howling north winds."
Dispatcher: "So, what's up with the METAR reporting 17C RVR? Could you change that to something relevant please?"
Tower: "We have no control over that."
Dispatcher: (Sound of head hitting desk repeatedly)
If the dispatcher was worth a crap they wouldn't be calling the tower and asking about the RVR in the METAR, it's beyond irrelevant, they'd just have the tower read them the current RVR for the relevant runway. Or they'd just go here - RVR Monitor and leave you alone.

Prevailing vis/tower vis are both 1 1/2.

Rvr is controlling when reported (at my airline), so rvr 5500 is controlling vis.
So the 5500RVR for 17C is the controlling vis for 35C? What about 35L and R? 17R/L? ;)

If the dispatcher was worth a crap they wouldn't be calling the tower and asking about the RVR in the METAR, it's beyond irrelevant, they'd just have the tower read them the current RVR for the relevant runway. Or they'd just go here - RVR Monitor and leave you alone.

Worth a crap?

Hey, is that RVR monitor in your ops specs as an official weather source? No? Oops. Here's an ASAP form for ya to fill out.

Worth a crap?

Hey, is that RVR monitor in your ops specs as an official weather source? No? Oops. Here's an ASAP form for ya to fill out.
So you'd still call and ask about an irrelevant RVR report though. Awesome. Tower appreciates it.

Three Question for you guys.
1. What is the prevailing visibility?
2. What is the controlling visibility?
3. What is the Tower Visibility?
The METAR is:
KDFW 011242Z 35022G28KT 1 1/2SM R17C/5500VP6000FT -SN BR SCT009 BKN017 OVC027 M06/M07 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 33040/1202 SFC VIS 1 3/4 PLE16 PRESFR.
See what we come up with.

What do the last 2 fields represent/mean? (PLE16 PRESFR) Thanks in advance to anyone good enough to make me less dumb with respect to these 2 codes!

PLE16 ice pellets ended at 16 past?? If I saw the prior metar I could confirm that theory. That's the best I got for that one. PRESFR pressure falling rapidly.
You already can confirm that theory IMO. It’s in the remarks and you have -SN and BR at M06 there must be an inversion layer otherwise how could there be BR or even PL? My guess would be the PLE16 isn’t PLB03E16 or something because the observer a, doesn’t know b, is lazy/new c, the PL we’re there for more then an hour.

Back