Let's play a METAR Game

Patriot _BOY

Three Question for you guys.
1. What is the prevailing visibility?
2. What is the controlling visibility?
3. What is the Tower Visibility?
The METAR is:
KDFW 011242Z 35022G28KT 1 1/2SM R17C/5500VP6000FT -SN BR SCT009 BKN017 OVC027 M06/M07 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 33040/1202 SFC VIS 1 3/4 PLE16 PRESFR.
See what we come up with.

The answer to the first two questions is 1 1/2. (Edited... I didn’t realize Q3 asked specifically about tower viz, which is listed in the remarks as 1 3/4 )

The tower is reporting 1 3/4, but that’s in the remarks section so it’s considered as “additional information”. The RVR has 1 mile (variable), but it’s for Rwy17C. With the winds out of 350 at 22G28, nobody is going to be landing on 17C.

Last edited:
The answer to all three questions is 1 1/2.

The tower is reporting 1 3/4, but that’s in the remarks section so it’s considered as “additional information”. The RVR has 1 mile (variable), but it’s for Rwy17C. With the winds out of 350 at 22G28, nobody is going to be landing on 17C.

Also, 17C is closed

Prevailing vis/tower vis are both 1 1/2.

Rvr is controlling when reported (at my airline), so rvr 5500 is controlling vis.

Why do I care, all are well above 1/2SM. However that’s pretty ballsy landing 17C with a 22 knot tailwind.

Typical shenanigans. Here's how that phone call would go.

Dispatcher: "Hey, what runways are you using?"
Tower: "We are landing north, what with the howling north winds."
Dispatcher: "So, what's up with the METAR reporting 17C RVR? Could you change that to something relevant please?"
Tower: "We have no control over that."
Dispatcher: (Sound of head hitting desk repeatedly)

It doesn't matter, we're going anyway, get in the plane.
Why do I care, all are well above 1/2SM.

These are the correct answers. Also remember that while you're reading this lunatic-issued METAR the phone is ringing, the ACARS is dinging, and your manager is standing behind you asking why you put so much gas on that FWA flight last month, you remember the one, it was right at the beginning of your shift when Jimmy called in sick and LGA went into a program and you had to offload Jimmy's desk onto the other desks and then Janice had an in-flight engine shutdown on her SBN flight that you helped with. Remember?

Last edited:
Doge 16092018113430.jpg

Why do I care, all are well above 1/2SM. However that’s pretty ballsy landing 17C with a 22 knot tailwind.
Isn't that tailwind out of limits for most jets? Off the top of my head I think the 737 can take a 10 knot tailwind.

Isn't that tailwind out of limits for most jets? Off the top of my head I think the 737 can take a 10 knot tailwind.

All tailwind limitations as far as I know are "max demonstrated" meaning that's all the manufacturer guarantees the aircraft being capable of sustaining. However, there technically is no physical limit to what tailwind an aircraft can endure on landing.

Per my company Ops Specs, most of our fleet is 10kts max authorized, though some are 15kts,

Back