Let’s discuss my driving record

Timmy Tucker

It’s not great. I think I have roughly 6-7 speeding tickets, most of them in my late teens, early 20s (I’m 45 now). The upside is that my last speeding ticket was in ‘07-‘08, I’ve changed my driving habits, and have been very careful not to get any speeding tickets since. The problem is that I don’t remember exactly how many I’ve received at this point, and I have no way to find out.

Here’s my first dilemma. Driving records only go back 10 years in both states I’ve held a license in (TN and VA). My last ticket was 13-14 years ago, so I have no way getting info on the old tickets.

Dilemma #2… One of my early tickets (circa 2000-2001) was a reckless driving ticket for speeding. Virginia currently issues a misdemeanor charge for a reckless conviction, but I don’t believe that was the case 20 years ago when I got mine. I can pull my criminal background with VSP, but again, it only goes back 10 years or so. So I have no way of knowing if that left a misdemeanor charge on my record. The other problem is that it’s been so long, I don’t even remember what county it was in (I had a traveling job at the time, and was in a different city every day), so I can’t search county-specific records either.

I want to be 100% upfront about everything with potential employers, but I’m not really even sure how to approach this stuff without having accurate records. Any thoughts?

Since no one‘s willing to touch this (understandably), let me ask a different question…

Am I even hireable with with my driving record? I don’t want to dump $40k-$50k into my training just to find out that I can’t even get a job as a CFI.

I am fully aware that my driving record is terrible, and I take full ownership of those mistakes. However, I made a conscious decision to change my ways, and have not had a speeding ticket for 13 years now as a result.

And, FWIW, the rest of my background is clean. I have no drug/alcohol/mental health/criminal history.

Last edited:
Since no one‘s willing to touch this (understandably), let me ask a different question…

Am I even hireable with with my driving record? I don’t want to dump $40k-$50k into my training just to find out that I can’t even get a job as a CFI.

I am fully aware that my driving record is terrible, and I take full ownership of those mistakes. However, I made a conscious decision to change my ways, and have not had a speeding ticket for 13 years now as a result.

And, FWIW, the rest of my background is clean. I have no drug/alcohol/mental health/criminal history.

Your shot at Delta is probably zero.

But I fly a G-550 around the world and even with all my jobs prior (a lot to get here) no one has ever asked or looked up my driving record.

More to it then just the Air Lines.

Your shot at Delta is probably zero.

But I fly a G-550 around the world and even with all my jobs prior (a lot to get here) no one has ever asked or looked up my driving record.

More to it then just the Air Lines.

I just assumed that was something pretty much everyone looked at. Now I feel a little better about it, thanks!

Just out of curiosity... is that a deal breaker for the regionals as well?

List all your violations, I doubt they make much difference being that they're so far in the past. If they can't find them when they run your driving record, then whatever, you told the truth
I know guys with past DUI’s at the regionals…
I know guys at all the legacies with speeding tickets

List all your violations, I doubt they make much difference being that they're so far in the past. If they can't find them when they run your driving record, then whatever, you told the truth

I know guys at all the legacies with speeding tickets

I’ve pulled every state and local record I can possibly get my hands on in the last week, including my NDR, and I’ve found nothing (still waiting on my NDR). It seems that no one keeps records that far back. However, I also ran a background check on myself using Truthfinder, and 4 old tickets showed up. Any idea what records BGC companies have access to that we don’t?

Just answer truthfully/factually, such as “Numerous traffic violations, primarily 15 - 25 years ago. Unable to obtain detailed records at this time.” Then don’t sweat it.

If they do background checks that find stuff, you haven’t tried to hide it (which is MUCH worse), and if they’re concerned they’ll ask the questions and you’ll answer truthfully.

[Disclaimer; I’m not an airline guy, so maybe I’m not up on something they do differently (?)…]

What’s with all these paranoia posts lately?! Dude, I definitely have more speeding tickets than you (I grew up driving muscle cars and sportbikes). I’m nearly the same age as you. You’ll be fine…. Might not get hired at Delta though! Ha ha. But no problem anywhere else.

What’s with all these paranoia posts lately?! Dude, I definitely have more speeding tickets than you (I grew up driving muscle cars and sportbikes). I’m nearly the same age as you. You’ll be fine…. Might not get hired at Delta though! Ha ha. But no problem anywhere else.

I assumed it would be a much bigger deal, hence the paranoia.

I’ve pulled every state and local record I can possibly get my hands on in the last week, including my NDR, and I’ve found nothing (still waiting on my NDR). It seems that no one keeps records that far back. However, I also ran a background check on myself using Truthfinder, and 4 old tickets showed up. Any idea what records BGC companies have access to that we don’t?

They have more access then you do that’s for sure

I had a similar experience. Lots of speeding tickets. All more than ten years before my interview at Delta. Put them all on the app and made sure to use some verbiage that date and location is an estimate. Nobody said a word. This stuff is going to be 15 years past by the time you make it to that level. Nobody is going to care. Nobody.

I appreciate all of the responses! Now I can shift gears to being ultra-paranoid about getting my medical. I'm going to schedule a consult with the local AME to discuss a couple things before I schedule the actual exam.

Back