Less safe?

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't say it was European. They have different training standards than we do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think it's safer to fly a major European airline, or a major American airline?

Times have certainly changed since I flew for the "commuters". It's gone from hand flying BE99's, Shorts330's and Metro's with the most sophisticated equipment being a DME, to glass cockpit Regional jets that would make the B75/76 look like a DC8.

Back then, we operated under FAR135 regs instead of 121. We had no access to full fidelity flight simulators. We trained late at night in the airplane and could simulate only a few non-normals.

We flew 90+ hr months. These were all hand flown hours without the aid of an autopilot or flt director. After 5 years, I could thread the needle of any ILS without the LOC/GS needles so much as quivering. I doubt I could do the same today as my role is that of system and automation manager. Sure, we still have to be able to hand fly a single engine ILS in the sim during recurrent every 6 months, but in the real world, we normally fly each approach with the autopilot engaged...even if it were single engine. There were days at the commuter that we flew multiple hand flown ILS,NDB or VOR approaches to mins. These were done in all kinds of conditions as NE US flying could be real interesting especially in the winter.

While the aircraft have changed, the job of the "commuter" (Regional) pilot really hasn't over the years. These folks still fly max duty and flt days and do so safely in all types of conditions. I always equate the commuter or Regional pilot to a doctor of a M.A.S.H unit. They repeatedly deal with the worst conditions on a daily basis and not always with the best equipment. In essence, they become really good, really fast.

In my days at the commuters, those airlines were consider merely stepping stones to the big leagues. Nowadays, pay and equipment have far exceeded anything I thought they would. Many pilots there have more time and experience than I do. They fly 3-4 times what I do a year. Their proficiency far exceeds mine. Many could probably fly circles around me. Do I feel as safe flying a Regional vs the main line? Nowadays it's not even a concern of mine.

Don't come down on me but I would say except for terrorism, you are probably safer on a US airline. European airlines have different work rules. For example, I jumpseated on a Brittania from Dublin to Sanford. 9 1/2 hours with only two pilots, and THEN they refueled and head for Cancun.

That much flying is in violation of 14 CFR regs.

[ QUOTE ]
Found some data on the subject. If the data is accurate, the major are considerably more safe by about 5 to 1 (trips).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but since the odds are so small to begin with, we're talking about splitting not hairs, but molecules of hair.

If the odds for the majors are one in eight million and the regionals are five times great, then we're talking five in eight million.

So instead of being able to board a plane for the next 22,000 years, you can only do it for the next 4,400 years.

I'll take my chances.

Back