Length of Terminal Academy

n9088d

Hi Guys,

I already tried using the search function and didn't get my question answered, so please don't bark at me. ;)

I know people selected for enroute can plan to spend approximately 3 months at OKC before heading to their facility. How does that compare to terminal people? I recently visited the MCI tower and TRACON and was talking to their head training person, and he said new hires go to the academy for a little while, the head up to MCI for some in-house training, then they head BACK to the academy for about 4 weeks, then come BACK to MCI for more in-house training, then they're done. How long do you spend at the academy each time? Thanks!!

Hi Guys,

I already tried using the search function and didn't get my question answered, so please don't bark at me. ;)

I know people selected for enroute can plan to spend approximately 3 months at OKC before heading to their facility. How does that compare to terminal people? I recently visited the MCI tower and TRACON and was talking to their head training person, and he said new hires go to the academy for a little while, the head up to MCI for some in-house training, then they head BACK to the academy for about 4 weeks, then come BACK to MCI for more in-house training, then they're done. How long do you spend at the academy each time? Thanks!!

You start out training for the tower. So expect the same training time as everyone else going to tower training. YOu then head back to your location and get checked out in the tower. after tower checkout, you head back to OKC for tracon training which is about 4-5 weeks (radar training). then you head back to your location and get checked out in the tracon.

Thanks for the info, guys. So it sounds like... 2 and 1/2 months OKC first, then a couple months (?) at your facility to get checked out in the tower. Then back to OKC for a month for radar, then back to your facility to checkout in the TRACON for a couple more months (?).

That's about what I thought, although I have to say I was thinking the initial tower part (2 1/2 months) would be shorter. Still better than 3 months away from home like enroute.

my friend started for enroute a couple weeks ago has to do basics and all that jazz and doesn't get done until March.

Back