Leaving Corporate/135

jml2992

Pigeon Mutilator
Good evening,

I’m currently flying a Legacy 600 for a 135 company and have been considering a jump to the airlines but have run into a couple of stumbling blocks as of late. Despite having logged more than 4000 hours of turbine PIC in the last 7 years in various turbo props/light jets/mid and super mid-size corporate jets, I am rapidly learning that all of the hours logged in these past years are of no use in applying toward any sort of validation with most major 121 carriers. I am interested in Envoy but honestly cannot leave this current position to fly at a regional for 2 years as an FO while I accrue the required 1000 hours of required 121 time to meet upgrade requirements (if I am reading the regulation correctly.) Has anyone else out there has this sort of experience or similar frustrations?

Good evening,

I’m currently flying a Legacy 600 for a 135 company and have been considering a jump to the airlines but have run into a couple of stumbling blocks as of late. Despite having logged more than 4000 hours of turbine PIC in the last 7 years in various turbo props/light jets/mid and super mid-size corporate jets, I am rapidly learning that all of the hours logged in these past years are of no use in applying toward any sort of validation with most major 121 carriers. I am interested in Envoy but honestly cannot leave this current position to fly at a regional for 2 years as an FO while I accrue the required 1000 hours of required 121 time to meet upgrade requirements (if I am reading the regulation correctly.) Has anyone else out there has this sort of experience or similar frustrations?
Pretty sure Envoy and Piedmont will have you in the left seat of a 145 tomorrow if you have 1000 hrs of 135 pax carrying PIC that required ATP. Matter of fact, I'll get a couple of bucks if I refer you to Envoy. 145 ORD and LGA spots available, as well as CRJ700 in ORD.
Piedmont offers 145 in PHL I believe.
Feds don't mind reading the reg as 135 PIC turbojet OR 10+ pax seats OR commuter. Some airlines do - I heard PSA and Republic are like that.

I would heavily look at Spirit. Especially if you can get LAS based. If Horizon will count all your time, Horizon could get you left seat in the jet really fast at the moment, or the Q400.

Ok. The major hangup to all of this may be that I only have around 200 hours of PIC of 135 time. The majority of my time has been in part 91 Flight operations in either a G200, Premier 1, or some variety of King Air.

If you come to OO you could have that time in a year. Expect 90 hours of block each month until you are senior in base. I’m 18% in base and for the first time ever I was able to have a line with only 79 hours.

Good evening,

Why are you going backwards into a regional? Just curious... there are many options other than regionals.

Good evening,

I did the same. I was contracting full time and decided to make the jump. I question my decision everyday. I am commuting to reserve in NYC, which sucks. I took a 60% paycut, which sucks. I am gone a lot more, which sucks. We are really fat on pilots, so I don't fly much on reserve. I have only flown 10 hours since I finished OE a month ago.

The flying is better than 135 so far. You don't have to worry about catering, the lav, or any of the other BS that comes along with 135. Once I have a line and a better schedule, I think I will be infinitely more happy.

I didn't hear anything from JB, and at the time, Spirit was too big of a pay cut, especially since they only pay $1000/mo when you are in training.

I am hoping that it will pay off in the long run.

Good evening,

What's prompting the move to the airlines?

I left a job flying a Falcon 900 for OK but not epic money, to go to SkyWest. SkyWest turned into a job at a major with some solid networking and a lot of determination to get out of the regional world ASAP. If you have any questions please hit me up via PM anytime.

I wouldn't be where I am at without the networking part. That was the most important part of the equation to move to a 121 where the paycheck matched the paint job on the airplane.

No reason to goto a regional if you don't want to. Spirit, Atlas, Kalitta, Jetblue would all hire you with those times.

This, have some look over your resume and clean it up, get yourself to a job fair, coming from 91/135 getting facetime with a recruiter is important. OBAP is coming up in a few weeks in Houston, If you are serious about making the jump you should be there.

Feds don't mind reading the reg as 135 PIC turbojet OR 10+ pax seats OR commuter. Some airlines do - I heard PSA and Republic are like that.
I thought it was pretty black and white regarding it being 135 PIC Jet and >10 seats. Are there places taking 135 PIC Jet with less than 10 seats and counting that towards the 1000hrs?

I thought it was pretty black and white regarding it being 135 PIC Jet and >10 seats. Are there places taking 135 PIC Jet with less than 10 seats and counting that towards the 1000hrs?
Dunno, but there was a guy that upgraded at my shop with Hawker 800 time, which I think is 9 seats. He was here 3 months before going to VX

A bunch of my 135 buddies have gone to Southwest after jumping off of their sinking 135 ship. JetBlue also! The company they work is going under and they are getting out if there at a rapid pace!

(2) Have a minimum of 1,000 flight hours in air carrier operations as an SIC in part 121 operations, a PIC in operations under either § 135.243(a)(1) or
§ 91.1053(a)(2)(i), or any combination of these.3
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.225.pdf
§135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.
(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger carrying operations—
(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multi- engine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2002-title14-vol2/pdf/CFR-2002-title14-vol2-sec135-243.pdf

It's not turbojet and ten or more seats, it's turbojet or ten or more seats. PIC time in a Lear 24 or PIC in a DC-3 operating under 135 would count the same towards the rule. Likewise, a 402 captain at Cape Air with over 1000 PIC technically meets these requirements.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.225.pdf

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2002-title14-vol2/pdf/CFR-2002-title14-vol2-sec135-243.pdf

It's not turbojet and ten or more seats, it's turbojet or ten or more seats. PIC time in a Lear 24 or PIC in a DC-3 operating under 135 would count the same towards the rule. Likewise, a 402 captain at Cape Air with over 1000 PIC technically meets these requirements.
Thanks. I've read that reg many times, and missed it every time. I guess my LJ35 time counts - thanks, Miller.

(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in acommuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

They need to replace the commas with periods; it would read easier.

Back