Lear 45

So what speed do you all fly on final?
Assuming not LIFR, around 150 at FAF so the final flaps can get deployed, then slow to Vref+10 or so on short final (unless the runway is short, then Vref +). The plane is MUCH better at getting into short runways than getting out, so a little fudge factor on approach typically won’t put you into danger territory. (Don’t get complacent about winter slippery runways though!)

So what speed do you all fly on final?
Well, I don’t know that we have an exact consensus yet but seems to be trending toward ref+10 from final flap extension until crossing the fence…now that I think I understand the floating ref bug I suspect I’ll be using that a lot. As Steve said above 150ish from FAF inbound.

Assuming not LIFR, around 150 at FAF so the final flaps can get deployed, then slow to Vref+10 or so on short final (unless the runway is short, then Vref +). The plane is MUCH better at getting into short runways than getting out, so a little fudge factor on approach typically won’t put you into danger territory. (Don’t get complacent about winter slippery runways though!)
Oh yeah, in the sim fly Vref…

Finally getting back in the saddle…

82020333-B6B4-4639-92E7-F8D0A1484367.jpeg

Sitting at company HQ trying to get our bird out of maint. Have gotten to fly it around a bit the last couple days, definitely a fan. Will be a huge upgrade from the 31. Can’t wait for the syn vis upgrade.

Made it back with the airplane yesterday. I like it. Normal mission is BFI-JNU. In the 31 with the power pulled back to 1000-1100 pph total we’d land with 1200-1500 lbs which is uncomfortable if the weather is down. yesterday we came up from PDX area (an extra hundred miles), shot 2 practice approaches with 3 turns in holding, and cruised most of the way up at the barber pole and landed with like 1900 lbs.

Sorry I never followed up after asking about speed on final. I appreciate the answers. My company uses Ref +10 and I was trying to get a feel for what others are using.

Pretty good performance considering ISA +8 (LJ70, not 45, but still…).

M.77, in a turn, FL330, and still doing 2,000 FPM in the climb. That’s my baby.

View attachment 60916
What do you do for a climb profile? That seems fast for a climb. The 70 is basically just a 40 with Garmin right? So a touch lighter than a 45 with no APU and the shorter fuselage? Love the plane so far. Can’t wait for the Primus synthetic vision upgrade. I like where they put the AOA on that Garmin, I want to build a habit of using the AOA gauge in the 45 more but they don’t really emphasize that in the sim so it’s going to take some reps.

Last edited:
Great airplane. Flew it for 5 years at Wally World. My best 45 story was coming back from Fairbanks to Seattle by way of Ketchikan. Ketchikan went below minimums, Cordova was our alternate, it went down too. We decided to try FL510 for a while, when we got up there the airplane was burning butterfly nectar, and we realized we had the gas to make it the rest of the way nonstop. So just kept on trucking To Seattle.
Don't be complacent about altitude. If you’re heavy, check the charts before going up high. When I was a line instructor I saw a lot of guys file in the mid-40s and when you check the tables they were too heavy to do it. Problem is the airplane will get up there, first nibble of turbulence though it may not be able to STAY up there. A little bit of pre-planning will keep you from carving a donut shaped hole in your seat cover.

The wing is really susceptible to mountain wave. That’s really my only complaint though. Probably the best flying airplane I’ve ever flown. (31 was fun too, but more of a toy than a useful airplane)

... Probably the best flying airplane I’ve ever flown.
Nice to hear that from someone with your experience level. I really like the plane - been flying it for 14 years now, and only have one other type rating so don't have too much to compare it to. (By the way, I think the 70/75 variants are even better - power increase of 10% along with avionics upgrade (with resultant weight reduction) and canted wingtips.)

Great airplane. Flew it for 5 years at Wally World. My best 45 story was coming back from Fairbanks to Seattle by way of Ketchikan. Ketchikan went below minimums, Cordova was our alternate, it went down too. We decided to try FL510 for a while, when we got up there the airplane was burning butterfly nectar, and we realized we had the gas to make it the rest of the way nonstop. So just kept on trucking To Seattle.
Don't be complacent about altitude. If you’re heavy, check the charts before going up high. When I was a line instructor I saw a lot of guys file in the mid-40s and when you check the tables they were too heavy to do it. Problem is the airplane will get up there, first nibble of turbulence though it may not be able to STAY up there. A little bit of pre-planning will keep you from carving a donut shaped hole in your seat cover.

The wing is really susceptible to mountain wave. That’s really my only complaint though. Probably the best flying airplane I’ve ever flown. (31 was fun too, but more of a toy than a useful airplane)
These days the ForeFlight advanced performance model takes care of that for you and won’t let you plan/file an altitude above max for your weight. We’re almost always taking off above 20k lbs so usually end up using 410/430.
LMAO about the 31. So true.

Honeywell SVS is great, I went from a 45 to a Falcon EASy and loved it. What a nice upgrade for the Lear, and speaking of upgrades, congratulations!
Thanks! I flew Honeywell SVS in the Pilatus. There’s a few things I wish this setup did but it is a nice upgrade.

Back