Lawsuit filed against B6/NK

There are people that treat blogs like paddleyourownkanoo like it’s letterhead from the board room, whic his weird.

Yeah I've noticed that. I can't decide if it's that we're losing critical thinking as a skillset, socially, or if it's just that so much of that content is so triggering for people that they like poking the bear. I suppose it could be both.

I mean, I get that. But the guy correctly called out something 24 hrs before. And now that same guy is calling out further cuts next month. Somebody is clearly getting insider info...

I mean, I get that. But the guy correctly called out something 24 hrs before. And now that same guy is calling out further cuts next month. Somebody is clearly getting insider info...

It's not insider. He's just repeating stuff that he's being fed from internal comms. Absolutely none of this was a shock or surprise to anyone who works here. None of this stuff was NDA'd.

There is zero secret to the fact that B6 is re-working the network as one of several initiatives to regain profitability - which means shedding unproductive flying and concentrating the resources we do have on the best bang for the buck. This is not rocket science, even for pilots.

Yeah I've noticed that. I can't decide if it's that we're losing critical thinking as a skillset, socially, or if it's just that so much of that content is so triggering for people that they like poking the bear. I suppose it could be both.

UNITED LOST A PANEL!

Clicks and shares.

You know far more than I do that we’re in an era where people confuse bloggers with investigative journalists with reporters with news anchors.

-From the Doug Taylor Institute of Debauchery and Sarcasm. (I wear a white lab coat and carry around a clipboard with reading glasses on!)

It's not insider. He's just repeating stuff that he's being fed from internal comms. Absolutely none of this was a shock or surprise to anyone who works here. None of this stuff was NDA'd.

There is zero secret to the fact that B6 is re-working the network as one of several initiatives to regain profitability - which means shedding unproductive flying and concentrating the resources we do have on the best bang for the buck. This is not rocket science, even for pilots.

This.

Even I’m bound by an NDA for certain things and, if they slipped, there’s enough of a small circle and “fingerprinting of language” that I’d be busted and fired in 24 hours if it got out.

This.

Even I’m bound by an NDA for certain things and, if they slipped, there’s enough of a small circle and “fingerprinting of language” that I’d be busted and fired in 24 hours if it got out.

Which is <shocked face> why you're not speed-dialing your local aviation blogger to feel good about being The Source Of The Scandal. </shocked face>

Perhaps I do not give my fellow pilots enough credit, but I am confident enough to bet both your future AND mine that if there was something particularly important/secret, that NO ONE outside the very-clearly-defined-by-the-SEC title of Insider would be told, because if it goes to a line pilot it absolutely will end up on the internet with a catlike quickness.

Yes, that is one of my favorite phrases of yours and I've stolen it. Cat picture tax to follow....

Wasn't there a picture a few years ago of a sign in a United crew room, about the largest companies that travel through SFO on United? And that list was leaked after an employee took a picture of that from the crew room and posted online? I just remember United wasn't too happy about that.

Which is <shocked face> why you're not speed-dialing your local aviation blogger to feel good about being The Source Of The Scandal. </shocked face>

Perhaps I do not give my fellow pilots enough credit, but I am confident enough to bet both your future AND mine that if there was something particularly important/secret, that NO ONE outside the very-clearly-defined-by-the-SEC title of Insider would be told, because if it goes to a line pilot it absolutely will end up on the internet with a catlike quickness.

Yes, that is one of my favorite phrases of yours and I've stolen it. Cat picture tax to follow....

The only ‘blogger’ that I had a modicum of trust in was that lady down in MSY back in the 1990’s. She’d spent time with the CEO’s, first-name basis with many of the boards, was at the shareholders meeting, would be called by name. But she just connected dots, but wouldn’t run with a scoop without checking sources because her reputation hung on getting it right instead of early. I doubt if she’s around any more because I cant’ even remember her name but she was more of the IT/TechGirl “Kara Swisher” of the aviation business.

She went “pay wall” early-on and the truth wasn’t as saucy as some of the PPC ad-driven sites so I’m not sure the model worked in the early 2000’s the way it would now.

The only ‘blogger’ that I had a modicum of trust in was that lady down in MSY back in the 1990’s. She’d spent time with the CEO’s, first-name basis with many of the boards, was at the shareholders meeting, would be called by name. But she just connected dots, but wouldn’t run with a scoop without checking sources because her reputation hung on getting it right instead of early. I doubt if she’s around any more because I cant’ even remember her name but she was more of the IT/TechGirl “Kara Swisher” of the aviation business.an

She went “pay wall” early-on and the truth wasn’t as saucy as some of the PPC ad-driven sites so I’m not sure the model worked in the early 2000’s the way it would now.

You thinking of Holly Hegemann and her PlaneBusiness publication? Was good reading, a bit behind with her publishing schedule but accurate as hell and knew quite a lot. And as you say read the tea leaves without relying on inside leaks even though she was well connected. She “retired” a few years back and kinda dropped off from anything I can find.

You thinking of Holly Hegemann and her PlaneBusiness publication? Was good reading, a bit behind with her publishing schedule but accurate as hell and knew quite a lot. And as you say read the tea leaves without relying on inside leaks even though she was well connected. She “retired” a few years back and kinda dropped off from anything I can find.

Yes! Yes yes yes! That's her!

Somehow most of the US hates labor, and "they" have convinced us all we need to go to college and be "management", but clearly most of us are not. So some how, some way, the powers that be got us to hate ourselves.

Weird, but well played on their part.
agreed it's a hard sell for this generation.

talking about this with my last captain (moderate with multiple kids in med school) he agreed that the cost of college might be offset by what you make initially. Long term, of course the pay off is most likely worth it, but it's hard to tell HS seniors to take 100K+ of loans only to make sub 50K after they're done. (and that's the STEM degrees)

My dad got his MBA at U of Chicago (booth) and it cost hime 24k in 1986...(inflation makes that ~90K) today it costs 200K+.

Somehow most of the US hates labor, and "they" have convinced us all we need to go to college and be "management", but clearly most of us are not. So some how, some way, the powers that be got us to hate ourselves.

Weird, but well played on their part.
Agree to an extent. You have people like Mike Rowe who started out making this point ok, then it turned into what seemed like a step away from "higher education bad" when obviously that mindset and the lack of ability to think critically has gotten us to, well... here. But that's probably also a result from making it so prohibitively expensive for a lot of people that I don't blame them for saying "screw it".
I will say, it's bizarre how many people will look at an article about UPS drivers or some other group getting a large raise and almost always scoff instead of saying "good for them." I will never get the amount of sympathizing with the uber rich that the average person does.

Agree to an extent. You have people like Mike Rowe who started out making this point ok, then it turned into what seemed like a step away from "higher education bad" when obviously that mindset and the lack of ability to think critically has gotten us to, well... here. But that's probably also a result from making it so prohibitively expensive for a lot of people that I don't blame them for saying "screw it".
I will say, it's bizarre how many people will look at an article about UPS drivers or some other group getting a large raise and almost always scoff instead of saying "good for them." I will never get the amount of sympathizing with the uber rich that the average person does.

I was "fortunate" that I got to see upper education first hand separated by almost 2 decades. The change in the orthodoxy was palatable.

Now, to be fair, it COULD be just a difference between institutions, but I've been to 3, over the period of time, and the curve fitting was pretty easy despite being fairly math challenged.

No resources for college at high school graduation in another century and a low draft number almost certainly ensuring the "grunt" side of Vietnam weren't great personal prospects, so I decided to enlist in a military branch of my choice and not Uncle Sam's to face the future. The G.I. Bill was different then (primarily no contributions from a very low salary) and I was hopeful to get into ATC. Delayed enlistment gave me a last Summer off, so it was months before I learned the truth that nothing is guaranteed as the needs of the military take precedence over any "promise" ever made by a recruiter.

No regrets all these years later, tho' there were a couple bumps along the way. The G.I. Bill paid my way through two colleges and a Master's Degree, and even for enough flight training to get through another solo. I used my education in the primary field for which it was meant darned near 25 years until the bottom fell out.

The education was good for a "college education stipend" whenI transitioned to 911 (thank you, Union) and some extra bucks in my paycheck every two weeks, although - frankly - my degrees had little or nothing to do with the specific work in that environment.

Both my boys, adults now with their own families, are blue collar workers. They work hard for their money but are successful as they both raise their children. One has an Associates Degree. The other is an 8th grade dropout with a GED. I'm a firm believer in advanced education but believe we have neglected the trades and looked down on the working person/skilled tradesman for far too long🤷‍♂️.

You have people like Mike Rowe who started out making this point ok, then it turned into what seemed like a step away from "higher education bad" when obviously that mindset and the lack of ability to think critically has gotten us to, well... here. But that's probably also a result from making it so prohibitively expensive for a lot of people that I don't blame them for saying "screw it".

I'm not really going to have a point, because if I had a solution I'd be in public service pushing for that solution to be implemented.

This is a tough one, and an unfortunate casualty of the extremism of America. Because Mike Rowe, and incidentally even the "This Old House" crew that he partners with, have identified a huge defect in skilled tradespeople. There is a "skills gap" forming. The problem happens when something as simple as we need more people that build things turns into the "nO OnE waNtS to wORk AnyMorE!!!!" or "wE liVe In moDErn tIMes, WHy dO KiDs nEEd to hAvE bLacKsMithIng skILLs!!!!" whine of the extremists on all sides.

Our community talking about this, kind of side skirts the issue because as a whole airline pilots are people that have time, skills, and the money to get things done. Myself, I had some formal training in building stuff, and some light apprenticeship in doing some constructions stuff when I was younger, (including paying tradespeople to shadow them when they were working on my own stuff) I had a grandfather that taught me woodworking as a child, I've watched a million videos, read books... and taught myself how to build stuff. I'm slow, but I can run my own electrical, wire boxes, work somewhat confortably in my main breaker box, sweat pipe, frame stuff, hang drywall, mud, install cabinets, plumb things, tile, paint... most people can't. They need skilled and qualified people to build and remodel their homes, commercial spaces, and etc.

It's hard. Home improvment shows make it seem easy. Real Estate flipping shows make it seem that you can replace old stuff with new particleboard junk and make huge profits. Nothing addresses the root cause that well, not everyone should go to college. Nor does it address the root cause that a high school education is getting worse and worse and that younger kids are coming out of the public education system without the life skills needed to survive in the world. My SIL teaches in a district like that. You have educators working their asses off in a system that is underpaying, underfunding, and undereducting - all the while both sides are saying eDuCAtiON FIrsT!!!! (and both sides are doing it completely wrong)

So, yeah, Mike Rowe talks a good game. Opera singer, QVC host. He panders to a certain type of audience. (FOX News watching, etc.) On it's face there are a lot of low hanging hypocritical talking points you can throw at him. He's a media guy, he's never been a tradesperson. The politcicans that champion issues, activitsts that champion issues... they very rarely are the thing that they champion. He sells ideas. He also devotes his time and energy to try to do something, what he belives will make a net positive change and move the needle, about a industry that at some point we all need. People that build and fix the places we live.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of broken systems and industries out there. They are all going to require a lot of fixes. There is a bill coming due, no matter where you sit politically... no matter who you blame... it's doesn't change the fact that the flight path needs to be corrected.

Reactions: HJB
The people in the trades refuse to look in the mirror and accept that they are the problem, not woke liberals or whatever. Declining unionization with accompanying problems with compensation, terrible culture with biases against women and minorities, the “sOfT hAnDs BrOtHeR” competition to see who can work themselves into an early divorce/grave the fastest, and failure to embrace workplace safety culture have turned off at this point several generations of kids from entering the trades.

Back