Last Air France Corcorde Flight into Dulles

ERAU_Intern

Hey All,

I just watched the last BAE Concorde flight into washington dulles airport this morning from Atlantic Coast Airlines headquarters parking lot. It was incredible, it came over us on approach to 19L at around two hundred feet with those big smokey turbo-jets-a-screamin! Quite a thing to behold. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know about this unfortunate ending of an era for Air France. Apparently they are gonna put this particular concorde in the Dulles extension of the Smithsonian air and space museum. So this one will never fly again. Darn shame too! It was a beautiful bird!

I grew up in VA and my Dad and I used to go out to Dulles and watch it land when I was little. It never got old seeing it. You're right, it is a sad end to an era. At least it will be on display for people to take a closer look...what else do they have at the Dulles Smithsonian exhibit?

True, it will be nice to have a concorde to look at up close, but in my opinion, the true beauty of an aircfraft like concorde really shows itself in flight. Oh well, no sense complaining about something you cant control. As far as I know the Dulles museum is getting an SR-71 for sure, then of course the concorde, and I really dont know what else. What I do know is that this extension is going to allow the air and space museum to house a great many more aviation treasures. And I think that is cause for a trip over there!

Agreed...should be worth the trip. How are things at ACA these days? Any forloughs calld back yet? I would love to work for them one day given the region they fly in and my background. I wish FSI had something with them like you guys have at ERAU. Good luck!

Hey Cav, nope no callbacks, but alot of guys are leaving. They just figure they can get on somewhere else before ACA calls them back. Oh well, Im staying optimistic like most interns here. ACA WILL come back. Its a great company. And dude, dont sweat the internship, just get your education and apply. They only want like 1000 hours and 200 multi for guys with aviation degrees. So good luck to you as well!

I used to play Softball at Sandy Hook NJ, about 4 miles south of JFK, the concords would come in low and slow for landing about a half mile off the beach, very cool.

Then again hearing them break the sound barrier while off shore in the fog scares the youknowhat out of you. it sounds like someone slamming the door real loud, twice, ( guessing the second boom was the echo?)

Don't all supersonic planes make two booms? There's a cone from the nose and one from the tail. I guess the length of the aircraft is what makes the two booms distinct. This is why you always here the two booms from the space shuttle but usually only one boom from a small fighter for example.
....I think.

See kids, that's why you take honors physics in HS!
grin.gif
...and so that you dont have to take PHY101 in college!

Wow I haven't heard Sand Hook NJ in awhile. On my last deployment, the ship we deployed on was stationed in Earle, NJ. We would fly up to meet the ship. We would usually come in for our approach as the ship was near Sandy Hook. The Pier at the weapons station is three miles long. Nice view of Manhatten from the end of the pier.

Yeah too bad Air France and British Airways have the attitude of 'we can't make it profitable neither can anyone else' and hence they're both refusing to sell the aircraft to any other airline despite several offers made by Virgin.

Guess it will be many years to come before we see supersonic airliners again, boeing didn't get much interest in it's proposed supersonic airliner prototype.

Woh hoo 400 posts.

We saw the Concorde on the ramp as we were taxiing in and out today. We pointed it out to the pax as we went by. It's definitely a cool airplane (even in Frog colors
grin.gif
). Very sad to think that it's out to pasture now.

H46Bubba, I've flown over that pier while inbound to LGA. I always wondered what it was. Rumor has it that there's a nude beach on the peninsula east of Sandy Hook, but I wouldn't know about that.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what else do they have at the Dulles Smithsonian exhibit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they will be placing the Enola Gay there. I think an ME-262 also. I'll definitely be visiting this one regardless!

>>Yeah too bad Air France and British Airways have the attitude of 'we can't make it profitable neither can anyone else' and hence they're both refusing to sell the aircraft to any other airline despite several offers made by Virgin.<<

The Virgin rumour is just a PR stunt by the great bearded one. What it boils down to is Airbus are no longer going to be supporting these aircraft, so no one will be manufacturing the parts - therefore they will not be able to operate.

[ QUOTE ]
Rumor has it that there's a nude beach on the peninsula east of Sandy Hook, but I wouldn't know about that.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gunnison Beach, about 1/4 the way south of the tip, ocean side.

We usually go almost over this area at low altitude while being vectored to Canarsie for the VORDME 13 at JFK. I havn't done it since the weather got warm though.

trust me, the weather has NOT got warm here yet.

in 40 days, we had 10 without rain.

It is going to rain again in a few hours, which is good since my mold is starting to dry out..

Back