LASIK Surgery Ends UAL 737 Captain's career

Re: LASIK Surgery Ends UAL 737 Captain\'s career

Here is a link about OrthoK:

http://www.ortho-k.net/index.html

On this site, they indicate that because the cornea is actually flattened, it IS detectable. So, if you end up with a screener that knows what he is looking for, you could be screwed.

Hope this helps!

Well since ortho-k is detectable, has it been approved by airlines or the FAA for use by airline pilots?

and I'd rather have my eyes 'braced' instead of having the liquified

As I recall OrthoK was definitely NOT and still is NOT approved by any U.S. military service. But, that didn't stop candidates from doing it anyway. I doubt seriously that any of these folks that made it ever admitted to having OrthoK done to pass the screen. Taking their chances, I guess. By the way, I don't believe any of the newer laser surgeries have been approved for the military either.

The airlines each have their own policies, but since you can just as easily wear contacts or glasses, why screw around with it. Most airlines will even accept Laser surgery provided there are no complications from it. Again, each has their own policy on this.

The problem with OrthoK as I see it is that it is not permant enough. If there is a chance that your vision could actually worsen in flight, why would you want to risk it? Just go get some glasses or contacts.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
By the way, I don't believe any of the newer laser surgeries have been approved for the military either.

[/ QUOTE ]

PRK and LASIK patients are being approved for UPT in a limited fashion.

That's great!...What are the limitations?

Are they just doing this on a trial basis or does anyone that had the surgery just have to apply for a waiver?

It's about time Uncle SAM came around on this issue.

It's a trial. I believe the Army is allowing 100 pilots a year to participate. I think the Navy is doing a trial on PRK, but not LASIK. I think the USAF is close behind on starting a trial, if they haven't already.

I had LASIK done in Canada for just over 1000$ USD for both eyes several years ago. I chose the Canadian location because the docs there had done over 10,000 procedures. They had an outstanding facility and were extremely rigorous in their screening. That is one of the keys to getting Lasik- make sure you are sure you are a good candidate for it in the first place. I was assiged a risk pool with little chance for anything going wrong, ie I had decent corneal thickness, ect. OF COURSE, there is ALWAYS a risk. Any medical procedure does. You are rolling the dice, but my lifestyle has been GREATLY improved from the procedure. I'm 20/15 both eyes uncorrected now. I can fly, skydive, SCUBA dive, and do whatever I want without the worry about losing or bvreaking my glasses or contacts. Just remember to seek competent proffesionals with lots of experience, and make sure you are in an acceptable (TO YOU) risk pool. If you are still sketchy, get a second opinion about your corneal mapping ect before you conmmit. Good luck to those who chose this route. The statistics are on your side if your eyes put you into the right risk pool. Oh, and the procedure was NOT painfull. There was a sensation of some pressure, but that is all. The worst part of the five to ten minute process was the smell of my corneal cells being evaporated by the laser. Smells like burning flesh! But it was a good thing! I praise the FLAP AND ZAP!

Don't give up on LASIK yet; some pretty significant advancements have been made since that UA capt went under the laser, advancements that may well be able to fix his eyesight and get him flying again.

The introduction of wavefront-guided custom ablations, high-speed eye trackers, "flying spot" lasers, and the intralase femtosecond laser for corneal flap creation are huge improvements over the procedures and equipment of even two years ago. (See http://www.customlasikinfo.com/ for more info on recent LASIK developments.)

As a lifelong wearer of glasses and contacts (with a prescription in the -5.75 neighborhood), I've been watching LASIK for a long time and feel that the science and technology have matured sufficiently to take the plunge--and I'm anticipating doing just that later this summer in Toronto if all goes as planned.

I had lasik surgery done right before I started flying. And now I see 20/20, I've reported it on my medical, and I have a first class medical with no restrictions at all.

Lasik is a safe and miraculous surgery, although the first month after the surgery your night vision will be extremely bad, and you have to follow a strict schedule of eyedrops after the surgery, so I wouldn't recommed the surgery while you're flying full time, especially if you're flying for a living. But if you can get out of flying for a month or so, the surgery would be worth it.

Back