LASIK reporting

dasleben

That's just, like, your opinion, man
Hi Doctor,

I'm scheduled for LASIK surgery on Wednesday, and was curious how the FAA would like this reported. I've seen one source say that it can be reported to the AME during the next physical, and another saying that your treatment record must be immediately forwarded to OKC. Any help on which the FAA would like?

Also, I understand that the 8500-7 isn't required, as long as my treating physician documents:

• The post operative condition has stabilized;
  • There have been no significant adverse effects or complications; and
  • The person meets the appropriate FAA vision standards.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

I recommend sending the report to the FAA immediately so they can send you a corrected medical certificate with no glasses restriction on it. Then at the next medical just report it again as surgery and the explanation is previously reported, no change.

The doctor also needs to report no halo's, glare nor night vision deficits.

Hey do you mind doing a writeup on your experience? My vision is actually not that bad but I'm so sick of contacts that I'm considering getting this done.
I'll pay you via my usual method...
Just realized it's in the Doc's forum...I'll remove it.

Hey do you mind doing a writeup on your experience? My vision is actually not that bad but I'm so sick of contacts that I'm considering getting this done.
I'll pay you via my usual method...
Sure, no worries. I wore contacts for years, but after a scratched cornea and recurring infections, I wear glasses 99.9% of the time now. LASIK will be amazing.

@My Flight Surgeon

Dr. Forred, one last question if you don't mind,

Am I required to stay grounded until the FAA receives the all-clear from my doctor, or can I resume flying duties when I feel I'm safe to do so? My 1st class expires in April.

Thank you!

Back