LASIK recovery time

nibake

Powder hound
I thought I would find more threads on this, but it looks like there isn't much discussion here.

Everything I'm seeing about recovering 1st class medical after LASIK/PRK is that it will require evaluation and a doctor's decision. Ok. What has been the experience of those who have done this? How long does it typically take to get back to flying after LASIK?

For LASIK, I was good to go within a few days, though I had about 8 days and definitely felt more comfortable with the extra time. You go for a follow up visit, all is well and vision is good, the doc sends that over to your AME, your AME sends it in to OKC. You return to flying and on the next medical, previously reported no change.

Hi nibake,

Once you have finished your postop drops and have healed go ahead and have your surgeon or postop provider document that your vision is 20/20 (will need to meet standards for your class of medical), that you are on no eye medications, and that you have no adverse effects such as halos or starbursts. Office notes are acceptable although the FAA really prefers you have a completed Form 8500-7 with the pertinent fields filled out.

At that point I would contact my AME or Regional Flight Surgeon office and have them review the record, you should be good to go. Shouldn't be down more than 2 weeks if all goes well.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

I thought I would find more threads on this, but it looks like there isn't much discussion here.

Everything I'm seeing about recovering 1st class medical after LASIK/PRK is that it will require evaluation and a doctor's decision. Ok. What has been the experience of those who have done this? How long does it typically take to get back to flying after LASIK?
I had three days off, day one surgery, day two follow up, day two rest and self assessment, day four back to work.

I had some halo effect but nothing bad enough to keep me from flying. Also it was summertime and night flights were few so that helped.

When I reapplied for my medical, the AME needed a copy of the eye surgeon's report.

I posted this and forgot to check the replies. Thanks for the info.

To see if I am understanding this correctly, I don't have to do anything with the medical before the surgery. I can take myself offline, and when everything is complete and I have the 8500-7, I give that to the AME and re-apply for the medical?

I posted this and forgot to check the replies. Thanks for the info.

To see if I am understanding this correctly, I don't have to do anything with the medical before the surgery. I can take myself offline, and when everything is complete and I have the 8500-7, I give that to the AME and re-apply for the medical?
You don't need to reapply for the medical. Just submit the 8500-7 to either your AME or your Regional Flight Surgeon office . List the surgery on your next application.

Back