Lasers suck.

One of my collateral duties at work is the laser safety officer, mainly just documenting ATFLIR laser targeting designator use and recurrent/annual training for everyone. Due to this billet, I have learned a lot more about lasers than I ever cared to know. Suffice to say that from the range you are probably being lased at, these types of lasers are typically not terribly hazardous to your eyes. There are a few out there that could potentially cause damage, especially at night, but the big risk is just the fact that it temporarily causes a distraction to aircrew in a critical phase of flight. We had a rash of these at Oceana several months back, and they finally caught the dude red handed. I'm not sure if I was one of his victims or someone else's, but it happened to me as well. Not awesome on a night departure trying to join up on my lead.

I was hit by a laser on my 15% ATP/Type ride... we stayed in the pattern for several approaches so we got hit multiple times, they did bring a Sheriff's Helicopter out there, and I think they apprehended the guy. Pretty dumb... "What are you doing time for?"

have had it multiple times, both in the US and overseas. I find it to be more of annoyance than anything.

I've been green lazered in the eye also while turning base to final from the north in Detroit. Apparently there is a problem neighborhood that this happens freqently from.

Didnt flash blind me very long, but i had a deep headache for awhile. Also took the measures of getting checked out by my eye doctor to just make sure everything was ok.

I don't understand people's strange attraction to lasers and aircraft.

Sent from my TRS-80

4699db85e0627342c5d600b88cce8b18.jpg

These guys!

e3cd5ba24b487ceabd0b4c458a4ba03b.jpg

Plus, this guy has been out of work for a while and becoming a tad bit juvenile as of late. Unemployment and lack of a regular sex life can make you do some wacky stuff, apparently!

Can we shoot back?
I got hit with a green laser a few months ago in a 172. We were on long final (VFR) and I quickly got my key chain red laser and shot back. My student continued the approach as I battled it out for about 30 seconds before I gave up. It was epic.... It's a big problem here in China as people use them on the street and in cars all the time. Nobody seems to care though :sigh:. In all honesty it wasn't a big deal for us, although I can see how it would be a problem in a helicopter when the pilots are using night vision goggles.

This might be an opportunity to make eights-on-pylons relevant again. Put a wing-mounted laser on each wing, locate the son-om-a-bitch and make em worry.

One of my buddies is a controller down in Houston. I joke with him that I will one day call in and report a laser event. If you guys only knew what kind of paperwork and phone calls our controller have to go through when a redneck shines a laser up at us.

However annoying it can be, report the laser events so they can track them. Usually they can be tied to one individual in the area, and eventually they will get caught.

One of my buddies is a controller down in Houston. I joke with him that I will one day call in and report a laser event. If you guys only knew what kind of paperwork and phone calls our controller have to go through when a redneck shines a laser up at us.

However annoying it can be, report the laser events so they can track them. Usually they can be tied to one individual in the area, and eventually they will get caught.

Wouldn't want paperwork to get in the way of safety of flight. :rolleyes:

Back