Large Aircraft Security Program

germb747

If the TSA gets it's way through a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) known as the Large Aircraft Security Program, pretty soon all general aviation aircraft weighing more than 12,500 lbs will be required to be covered under a TSA-mandated security program which will include a requirement to obtain permission from TSA for each flight carrying passengers. This doesn't just include operators complying with the current "twelve-five" rule, but will include all private aircraft clearing that low weight threshold. For the first time, the government will get to determine who can be carried within the borders of the United States in one's personally-owned-vehicle (POV). You can probably tell how I feel about this proposal, but take the time to educate yourselves and make your feelings known as the public comment period is going on now. TSA is expanding it's reach at such a rate (without even having it's ducks in a row on it's primary mission of airline security and cargo/port security), that eventually I can foresee all general aviation aircraft being subject to TSA requirements regardless of weight or destructive capability. What disturbs me is that 12,500 is just an arbitrary number the FAA came up with decades ago to outline pilot certification requirements; to date nobody has presented a realistic threat assessment to determine whether or not the risks associated with this weight class justify the costs. If you take the time to read the NPRM, you'll see just how flawed it really is as currently written.

To comment, go to http://www.regulations.gov and type in "TSA-2008-0021" as the docket number. Here are a few resources you can use to learn more about the LASP and it's impact on general aviation.

EAA's Briefing Paper

http://eaa.org/news/2008/2008-11-20_calltoaction.asp

http://eaa.org/govt/tsa.asp

AOPA Article

Of course, the NPRM Itself

I am currently working at an FBO where they sent a copy of the plan for some of our people to read. They have not passed it around for all of us to look at, but from what I have heard, it is not going to be well received. TSA has already been showing up and doing random I.D. checks on the employees. It's bad enough that they have control at the main terminal but now they want to make our lives miserable.

ever have the feeling that the comment period is just checking the boxes and the decision has already been made?

this is a horrible plan, it's going to suck, but i think it is going to happen, and we will hate it.

I can just see Joe Millionaire in his King Air 350 operating as an owner/pilot getting permission every time he wants to take his wife to the islands or every time he wants to take a trip to West Palm to see his mistress....

Someone needs to just get rid of the TSA, period. What a disaster.

-mini

I can just see Joe Millionaire in his King Air 350 operating as an owner/pilot getting permission every time he wants to take his wife to the islands or every time he wants to take a trip to West Palm to see his mistress....

Someone needs to just get rid of the TSA, period. What a disaster.

-mini

Agreed. The TSA needs to go. This NPRM is totally unnecessary and just another invasion of our privacy and taking of our freedoms by the government. This will cripple general aviation in this country and make private aircraft travel as much of a pain as flying on an airliner.

This could negatively affect big names, the people who have power, so might not last a long time.

Back