landing on a pitching deck

Tld

Waffles Brah.
Did a quick search and didn't find anything on this series or these videos...part 2 is intense. enjoy.

[yt]4gGMI8d3vLs&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]S0yj70QbBzg&feature=related[/yt]

Not bad, I recognize one of the Hornet drivers, we went to UCLA NROTC together many years ago. Not sure about having the none flyers critique the passes, they really have no clue though the really bad passes were probably recognizable. It was frustrating at times when maybe I had a bad pass and the flight deck crew or maint gave me crap about it. It was all in good fun but sometimes I wasn't in the mood. It was absolutely expected from fellow aviators :D

Night landings always sucked, even in calm waters. When the sea state got to a point where the deck moved at a rapid rate, the MOVLAS would come out. I saw it in the video and you can tell by the lines on the side of the screen. It's not so much the movement but the rate of movement of the ship. I saw the top of the screws break the water one time behind the Connie.....a little disconcerning.

Pretty cool.

After watching the video, I got addicted and watched the entire season of Carrier for the first time (via Hulu). Such mixed feelings! On the one hand, the flying they do is so b.a.! but the ship life must suck. I'd be curious to see what the life and missions are like for the other (non fighter) pilots.

I worked on a flight deck a few years back and it just so happened that the discovery channel crew was shooting a documentary, here's a link to the video, I could actually be seen in the video, although unrecognizable, one of the two guys leaning against the white cart to the right of the helicopters :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67iGu3E8Gc

Pretty cool.

After watching the video, I got addicted and watched the entire season of Carrier for the first time (via Hulu). Such mixed feelings! On the one hand, the flying they do is so b.a.! but the ship life must suck. I'd be curious to see what the life and missions are like for the other (non fighter) pilots.

Same life, just different types of flying. The best life is going to be the COD pilots, they get the carrier light. Ride the boat until near shore then fly off to support the carrier. They live in hotels or on a US base if available while flying daily sorties to the boat.

Same life, just different types of flying. The best life is going to be the COD pilots, they get the carrier light. Ride the boat until near shore then fly off to support the carrier. They live in hotels or on a US base if available while flying daily sorties to the boat.

What is COD? I know it's a type of lousy tasting cheap fish :)

A COD landing on the boat (the pic is a friend of mine, the OIC of the det and former S-3 driver) and yes, the COD is UGLY!! :crazy:

1146439.jpg

On the carrier deck:

1525086.jpg

One more, a pic from my DET before deployment in 06 launching from the carrier, could be me flying but I don't know...cool pic though of an ugly plane.

1003339.jpg

Carrier Onboard Delivery. Mail, supplies, visitors, etc. I would assume.

Yep, all that. Paradrops with Spec Ops as well though we never did as much as we or they wanted. We were smaller than a C-130 but faster and much quicker turnaround to drop, land and pick up for another drop. From the boat, nobody but us could do it.

I worked on a flight deck a few years back and it just so happened that the discovery channel crew was shooting a documentary, here's a link to the video, I could actually be seen in the video, although unrecognizable, one of the two guys leaning against the white cart to the right of the helicopters :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67iGu3E8Gc

Haha, very funny skidz. Surprised no one else noticed.

Never thought about the whole "no base to divert to." Must be the same feeling in an old single engine aircraft over the ocean or great lake. You get the "I have no room for error or unperfect choices." I hate that feeling.

Back