Landing at The Holdout Cow Camp (dirt)

skybobb

This is a cow camp that is located about 40 miles south of my home field S49 Vale, Or. It is a little up slope and a one way strip. That is because of Quartz Mt. that it on the west end. A missionary group from Nampa, ID. trains there pilots on this strip.

[yt]VqZ1i41OBDY[/yt]

Nice! At first, I didn't even think that that was the runway. It's rocky and shaped like an "S".

Awesome! I'm jealous that I've never gotten to land on a dirt or grass strip because of insurance reasons at the schools I rent from. Hopefully one day :)

Not exactly routine. Note the emphatic breathing and the nervous laughter. Also, the instructor is obviously done it a few times and has practiced his pre-takeoff check of killer items (flaps, trim). Nice...

That was awsome. I would love to land on dirt someday, it seems to give a larger feeling of freedom.

Your landings are great. Every time, stall horn then a nice touch down.

I love flying into grass strips, have not got to do dirt yet though looks just as fun.

How do you record the your conversation with the video?

A number of years ago for Christmas my grown children bought me an intercom. It came from a place called RST (Radio Systems Technnology) in Grass Valley CA. It was a kit I had to put together. It has a wire and plug in to go right into the assor. mic jack, on my video camera. That way all on board with a headset and boom mike wind up on the video when they talk. It works great and cuts out the engine noise some too. I mount my camera on the upper dash on a 1/4 inch plywood platform with velcro. skybob

Your landings are great. Every time, stall horn then a nice touch down.

I love flying into grass strips, have not got to do dirt yet though looks just as fun.

Thank you for the fine comments. I just love that old 182, It flies great and with about 1400 hours in it I feel at ease in it. Bob

Skybobb,
Give me a heads up the next time you make it out to Nampa and lunch at Starvin' Marvin's above the FBO is on me. I'd love to sit and chat and maybe do some flying sometime.

Skybobb,
Give me a heads up the next time you make it out to Nampa and lunch at Starvin' Marvin's above the FBO is on me. I'd love to sit and chat and maybe do some flying sometime.
That is a great Idea on both counts. I do get over there from time to time. I am kind of busy for the next few days as it is time for me to take my flight physical. I have to go to Boise and I have to get a few papers in order from a couple of other Doctors. I am on a SI so I sweat this time of year. I think I am ok, and then I remember who I am dealing with. Bob

Cool deal. Good luck with the physical. My eyesight always makes me nervous on mine. I have another job in the mornings Fri-Mon but the rest of the time I can be found at the FBO in Nampa.

Maybe we could even fly into Big Creek for breakfast or something. I would like to do that. However I need to get my med. renewed first. Bob

Back