LaGuardia Makeover!

About time.

Have you guys seen the plan for the new MSY terminal? To me it's just strange MSY, IND and RDU get these works of art terminals meanwhile PHL, LGA and LAX have these dumpy concourses. Shouldn't we update our oldest most used airports before we give some small town non-hub a terminal to rival the one in paris?
Well, they upgraded/remolded the International Bradley terminal at LAX and are starting some big project to the exteriors of all of the other terminals, sidewalks, streets, lighting, overhangs and some other crap that I don't remember what. Traffic will be a worse nightmare than it usually is for over a year though so that should be fun. They re-did # 6 but still, there is a lot more to be done. They are supposed to replace the entire utility plant at some point and terminal 5 is supposed to get a remodel/upgrade next I think. They put up a new AARF station a couple of years back. There's a list of other improvements coming at least.

Last edited:
I flew out of LGA a few months ago and was surprised to see the improvements. IPads all over the terminal with free WiFi and a much more modern look.

I flew out of LGA a few months ago and was surprised to see the improvements. IPads all over the terminal with free WiFi and a much more modern look.
Sounds like you were in terminal C or D. Delta paid for that themselves Thats not what the article is about though. They were talking about the central terminal where AA, SWA and others operate.

They should re-name it Bloomberg municipal airport. Fill it with hotdog carts and 12oz soda vending machines.

Well, they upgraded/remolded the International Bradley terminal at LAX and are starting some big project to the exteriors of all of the other terminals, sidewalks, streets, lighting, overhangs and some other crap that I don't remember what. Traffic will be a worse nightmare than it usually is for over a year though so that should be fun. They re-did # 6 but still, there is a lot more to be done. They are supposed to replace the entire utility plant at some point and terminal 5 is supposed to get a remodel/upgrade next I think. They put up a new AARF station a couple of years back. There's a list of other improvements coming at least.
LAWA has been buying up a lot of land both east and west of aviation. I'm thinking they are going to try with their ultimate plan of moving all passenger drop off and pick up from a remote location. The traffic is horrendous inside LAX. Then you add the LAX police who pull people over for lane change violations and it becomes an even bigger nightmare.

As a resident NY'er, I can say it's about time. The governor is right. There's been talk of airport improvements since I was in high school, and the only airport that received the attention was Kennedy. It's gotten much better at Kennedy (Terminal 1 was born, Terminal 4 replaced the IAB, Delta is dealing with Terminals 2 and 3, jetBlue has done a good job with Terminal 5, and American has redone Terminal 8), and there is still much to be done. Aside from a new tower, LaGuardia hasn't gotten much done at all.

It appears the city and state of NY aren't pleased with the Port Authority dragging their feet for decades. $3.6 billion is a lot of money, so I hope it's managed well to keep the fraudsters at bay. I don't think it wold be a lipstick-on-a-pig project if NY pride has anything to say about it.

Oh, and one thing that needs correcting: there is fee Wi-Fi at jetBlue's Terminal 5, and a "conditional" free Wi-Fi at American's Terminal 8 at JFK.

It's amazing how universally crappy any airport in NYC is.

I've seriously been to better facilities in third world nations. Helll, the piece of crap terminal that they're tearing down in Mumbai beats anything in EWR/JFK/LGA.

About time.

Have you guys seen the plan for the new MSY terminal? To me it's just strange MSY, IND and RDU get these works of art terminals meanwhile PHL, LGA and LAX have these dumpy concourses. Shouldn't we update our oldest most used airports before we give some small town non-hub a terminal to rival the one in paris?
I see what you're thinking, but the best reason I can think of is those huge airports can't afford to shut down any gate space. Imagine shutting down a terminal at LAX to renovate, in those cramped alleys. It would be a nightmare...one after the other...years and years of construction since it can't all be done at once without major issues.

Back