Lack of Federal Funds? Airmen step up

block30

Too bad an official flyover could not happen, but the response was/is an example of military and civilians folks doing what they can to take care of veterans. Nice to see individuals step up when money is tight. Sorry my mobile device won't let me copy and paste the whole article. The link should work. As far as a thread title, I wasn't sure what exactly to say...civil Airmen of whom many are veterans? ..Haha...If you read the article you'll get the picture.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/us/airmen-private-flyover/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

It's awesome that some privateers were able to step up when the government won't.

Personally, I find it disgusting that the AF wouldn't cough up some cash for a flyover when I know of two flag officers who flew in here yesterday in an F-16 for a change of command ceremony.

It's awesome that some privateers were able to step up when the government won't.

Personally, I find it disgusting that the AF wouldn't cough up some cash for a flyover when I know of two flag officers who flew in here yesterday in an F-16 for a change of command ceremony.

Given our financial situation, I can't really criticize the AF for not spending $10k or so on a symbolic flyover. Perhaps there's a less expensive more equally symbolic way for the AF to contribute to these memorials.

Given our financial situation, I can't really criticize the AF for not spending $10k or so on a symbolic flyover. Perhaps there's a less expensive more equally symbolic way for the AF to contribute to these memorials.

Very well said.

There was just an article about comparative operating costs in the AF times. The F-16 comes out $22,500 per hour. So, assuming a one hour sortie for 4 aircraft, that comes out to $90k for the flyover. Expensive, I'll admit.

But $45k for some generals to keep their flight pay and shoot the breeze with their buddies at the expense of half the formation required for this flyover...that's just sick. And it happens all the time.

Can't speak for the AF, but in the Army flyovers were done with existing training dollars, and the flyovers themselves were worthwhile training for us. We can't do them now only because of public perception. We still get the same training dollars we did before.

Can't speak for the AF, but in the Army flyovers were done with existing training dollars, and the flyovers themselves were worthwhile training for us. We can't do them now only because of public perception. We still get the same training dollars we did before.

That would be ideal. And I've always wondered that about local USCG crews. They talk in the local media about the cost to circle the ocean and find a stranded boater, but I always wondered if that shouldn't be subtracted from what they'd otherwise be spending to do T&Gs in the pattern at KPIE.

AF is generally the same. Save a few exceptions, all the AF's flyovers are conducted along with a normal training sortie. Our training dollars however, are being gutted before they're even put in our accounts. FY '14 is going to be an ugly one for the AF.

AF is generally the same. Save a few exceptions, all the AF's flyovers are conducted along with a normal training sortie. Our training dollars however, are being gutted before they're even put in our accounts. FY '14 is going to be an ugly one for the AF.

I felt that fly-overs were a waste of our flying hour program. Every hour I spend trying to fly over a stadium at 1:36 past the hour because that's when Little Miss Florida gets to "Braaaaaaaave" on her National Anthem is an hour I can't spend training for combat or testing new systems. Don't get me wrong... I'm proud to do these things. I just wish they came from a different pot.

Too bad an official flyover could not happen, but the response was/is an example of military and civilians folks doing what they can to take care of veterans. Nice to see individuals step up when money is tight. Sorry my mobile device won't let me copy and paste the whole article. The link should work. As far as a thread title, I wasn't sure what exactly to say...civil Airmen of whom many are veterans? ..Haha...If you read the article you'll get the picture.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/us/airmen-private-flyover/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I'm personally friends a few of those guys.... and they wouldn't hesitate to do anything like that at the drop of the hat.

The AF did step up to the plate for Bud Day's funeral at NAS Pensacola. Semi-low ceiling, 4 Ship of F-4s.... First time I've seen a 4 ship of F-4s in a very, very long time.

Last edited:
I'm personally friends a few of those guys.... and they wouldn't hesitate to do anything like that at the drop of the hat.

The AF did step up to the plate for Bud Day's funeral at NAS Pensacola. Semi-low ceiling, 4 Ship of F-4s.... First time I've seen a 4 ship of F-4s in a very, very long time.
That's awesome on two levels...that the AF was able to honor Bud Day, and that they flew a four ship of F-4s!

Back