kSNA Flying Clubs?

Besides the standard flight schools there is Royal Aviation on the other side of the airport. That's all I really know of..

Yup. Same for me. I know about Sunrise, OCFC and Royal, but was hoping that I could find a true 'flying club' that I could do some freelance flight training out of (my own students), but cant seem to find anything.

Try Long Beach Flying Club. Obviously in LGB but that's the only freelance style place I know of.

Just curious...why SNA over LGB? I find LGB to be a much better place to fly/train from. No long waits to get out, many runway options (request the 34/16s), and closer to training areas.
My .02

Just curious...why SNA over LGB? I find LGB to be a much better place to fly/train from. No long waits to get out, many runway options (request the 34/16s), and closer to training areas.
My .02

Really, your absolutely right. Only reason for asking about SNA is that I live so close to the airport, and the students also live in south orange county. LGB is a bit of a ride, especially depending on traffic, which as you know, can be a NIGHTMARE depending on the day (and time of day).

I think I end up with the same problem out of LGB also. Are there flying clubs there I can use?

Royals the closest you'll come to flying club at SNA. But Eric doesn't let freelancers instruct there anymore. Hasn't for about 10 years.

If you do LGB have fun flying with Helen if she's still around. Crazy crazy lady. She's like one of those cat ladies who somehow ended up running a flight school. Told me I wasn't flying like a CFI let alone a commercial pilot. This was right after I passed my cfi ride on the first try. Then in the same sentence told me she'd let me instruct there.... go figure. Just gotta swallow your pride for an hour or two and you'll get through it ;)

I have some bad memories of driving 50mi roundtrip to sit on that couch allllll day every day and having only 1 or 2 guys walk in all week... but having to trade off with the other couch ridden cfis. Things were pretty slow when I was round, hope it's picked up a bit.

If you do LGB have fun flying with Helen if she's still around. Crazy crazy lady. She's like one of those cat ladies who somehow ended up running a flight school. Told me I wasn't flying like a CFI let alone a commercial pilot. This was right after I passed my cfi ride on the first try. Then in the same sentence told me she'd let me instruct there.... go figure. Just gotta swallow your pride for an hour or two and you'll get through it ;)

I have some bad memories of driving 50mi roundtrip to sit on that couch allllll day every day and having only 1 or 2 guys walk in all week... but having to trade off with the other couch ridden cfis. Things were pretty slow when I was round, hope it's picked up a bit.

Yeah I remember sitting in an office all day everyday hoping for even a phone call. It took me 6 months to find 3-4 steady students. What a contrast to what happened a couple of years ago where you couldn't find a CFI because they were getting hired at regionals.

Helen left the LBFC around 4 years ago. I think they had a going away party for her and nobody showed up.

The LBFC still operates as a freelance club so it is up to a new customer to align themselves with an instructor that they are comfortable with.

We'd love to have you come by!

Alright! I didn't know so many SoCalers were around... Let's a fly in somewhere! Haven't met up with any JCers since a meet and greet a few years back...

btw, last I checked, LBFC wasn't looking for more CFI's, even though they're freelancers... plus, I heard their airplanes suck (just what I heard)...

I couldn't find any at SNA... I live in south county so LGB is a little far for me. I have been thinking about going down to Palomar and trying out Pacific Coast Flyers (http://www.pcflyers.org/index.php). Anybody fly there or tried them out???
I was an active member with them in late 2007/ early 2008. The only problem I had was occasional glitches with the online scheduling. Everyone was very cool, the planes in good condition and easy access as a member.

LBFC airplanes suck? Not from what I know and that is the majority of my lowly 250hrs. Are they old? Yes. Do they suck? No. They are well maintained and like anything that has some years on it, things fail from time to time. Listen to that CJP guy. He knows whats up!

Back