Korean Air Dispatch 2108

I believe that was the case in the past but now it is listed as "preferred". I don't think there is a high supply of Korean speaking dispatchers.

I wager there’s a whole bunch more Koreans that “speak” English, than there are Americans that speak Korean. Might be a good gig. They’re never going to be able to put a Korean in that spot, unless they’re an American, or Naturalized...

I'd be interested to know what Korean Airlines payscale looks like. I speak Korean, but unless the payscale is reasonable, there's no way it would be worth it to me

If you can read and write it, I bet it would be worth your time to check it out.
That I can do. They actually wanted me to come interview about 18 months ago, but due to family events, timing, etc, I told them that I'd like to see a starting pay so that I could change my plans if it was worth it.

Edit : They balked at that.

Side note: why is it that so many companies seem ashamed by their pay by not sharing the payscale?!

I’m guessing these are “dispatchers” instead of dispatchers

Having worked extensively with many of the Asian carriers, I am pretty sure it is a legit dispatch position in that the dispatchers do release and follow flights. However, dispatch for non-North American carriers is not the same as dispatch here in the U.S. The PIC seems to have more control than the dispatcher. Nothing unsafe is planned, but the routes are 100% canned and the dispatch software's plan is almost never changed or tweaked. I work for a company that does station flight operations/dispatch for several foreign carriers. Many times when there is a thunderstorm near the airport or enroute, it is me recommending different routes and informing the dispatcher of TFM initiatives, instead of the other way around. The usual strategy without outside intervention is standard canned route with extra fuel. A non-weather example of the relatively rigid and proceduralized dispatch process comes up when one of the cargo carriers I work with goes on the NATs. Sometimes when the tracks are further north than usual (near Iceland), the canned routes don't reach the proper NARs or entry waypoints. I've seen several iterations of the dispatcher just using a canned route to a waypoint like MIILS and then going direct to the appropriate waypoint a couple hundred miles north. Upwards of 30 minutes have been saved by taking a more direct route that isn't in the route database with a little persuasion from our side.

Additionally, some Asian carriers have multiple dispatch offices. I don't work with Korean, but I do work with Asiana. OZ has their main dispatch office in ICN, but that office doesn't handle U.S. contiguous or outbound flights. For that, there is a regional JFK dispatch office that does all U.S.-ICN outbound flight, as well as domestic/ANC cargo flights. Finally, ORD even has its own dispatcher for ORD outbound flights (albeit only 4-5 days/week). Obviously structure varies from carrier to carrier. I'm not sure if KL has their main U.S. dispatch office in LAX (where all U.S. pax and cargo flights are handled), or if LAX only handles LAX flights.

tl;dr KL dispatch probably isn't = to U.S. carriers' dispatch. Additionally, LAX office doesn't handle all KL flights, only some.

Last edited:
Qantas and Virgin Australia have 'flight dispatchers' but as mentioned before in this thread it's an unlicensed position and doesn't have the 50/50 responsibility it does in the FAA. Flights are still planned in the same manner, and are 'flight watched' as well. Still unlicensed over here but some are being sent over to gain the license as there is 'no qualification' to gain over here. The only thing that is mandated in Australia is a flight watch service for EDTO (ETOPS) flights, only EDTO operators are QF/VA/JQ. FAA license is good for a lot of things, but have to learn lots of things that are not relevant for over here, like FAA flight and duty times etc. Only VA and QF have flight dispatchers in Australia, Jetstar (Australia) has a flight follower and their plans are done overseas, as it's not mandated other operators don't have them. Air New Zealand is very similar (in New Zealand).
I'd be suprised if the regulator does FAA style regulate the profession over here, as the industry would push back on it heavily as for the other smaller operators it would be a huge cost to them that the currently don't have to outlay. All of the regional style operators here the pilots do their own flight plans and have no flight following. Sending dispatchers from over here to the US to do FAA licenses is at least currently just an 'educational' thing for improvement in the standards and knowledge of the people working here.

Back