Kolob Canyons Air Service

Falconone

Saw a job posting for this company based out of Smyrna, TN flying freight in Metroliners. Anyone know anything about them pay, qol, company?

I know Jeff has been sued from at least two different FBO's for not paying his fuel bill.
YMMV

I know two people who worked there... both thought it was fair pay for fair work. Neither had anything negative to say... but things can and do change.

I think @Patrick might have something to say, or not. I will mention that they have an EMS operation in Show Low, AZ. Normal pilot staffing for an 24/7 EMS operation is 4. 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off. From what I understand they operate a 24/7 EMS base with 1 pilot. How they do this legally, I do not know.

I think @Patrick might have something to say, or not. I will mention that they have an EMS operation in Show Low, AZ. Normal pilot staffing for an 24/7 EMS operation is 4. 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off. From what I understand they operate a 24/7 EMS base with 1 pilot. How they do this legally, I do not know.

They don't operate it legally then.

They most certainly do not. PM me if you're considering this. It comes highly unrecommended from me.

This place still one to avoid? Currently on a small island looking to get back to the states and this is my home town.

Just worked a pilot with a callsign Kolob. If it's the same company, 2 per him 10 minutes ago.

Can't find much after googling the company name. Anyone know their minimums to get in?
Don't be bashful about calling and asking to speak with the Chief Pilot. You can simply say you're interested in knowing more about the company, could he share minimums, pay, and typical schedule. You can ask him about the attributes of the pilots who have done well there. If you ultimately interview at the company, the phone call will help put you at ease and may give you a leg up over candidates who didn't make the call.

Yeah, so there isn't much info out there about KOLOB. So here it is.
Flying is part 135 On Demand.
Fleet
3 Mertos/Merlins. cargo
1 PC12/45. cargo or single pax
1 Lear 35. pax just put on cert.
1 Lear 55. pax . just acquired, awaiting conformity
3 Tubo Commanders cargo/pax/ 1 fire spotting
Several Shrike Commanders cargo/fire spotting
PIC pay starts at $250/day, SIC-$100/day . additional $25/day if you become X-trained in another aircraft. per diem is $20-$30/day.
Schedule is approx 2 weeks ON, 2 weeks OFF , rotating on Sunday. Starting Sunday and ending Sunday you are paid $100 travel pay unless you happen to fly a trip, then you get the regular pay. KMQY is the main base where MX is perfomed, though HQ / the CO are in Cedar City, UT. There are two apartments in KMQY and one in KLRD for pilots to stay at. Unless they are trying to change it, you are not required to live in/near KMQY, as they have been paying to airline pilots to where ever the airplane is at the begining of ones rotation. Some rotations you won't see the inside of a hotel room and others you almost get to a first name basis with the staff. If you are willig to relocate to/near KMQY, you;ll be able to enjoy being paid ON CALL while sitting at home. Call out time is 1 hr to wheels up. Flights will not always terminate in KMQY or KLRD, only if the drop off is within and hour or two flight of those locations. Sometimes you will just go to the hotel for rest and wait for the next trip to pop up.
For the most part, the hotels are decent, (Hampton, Holiday, Radisson, Comfort/Quality INN and sometimes Marriots) .
Trips can pop up any time day or night and it varies widely. There are slow times of the year when you go stir crazy and others when all you get is the min. 10 hr rest for days on end. For the most part. it's pretty laid back. 2 Ipads are assigned to each aircraft for charts.
Must have PIC IFR mins for CAPT. SICs get hired with much less
All in all , it's a decent place to work. Most see it as a stepping stone, but hopefully that will change when the long term pay is increased, especially now that jets service is starting.

BTW...Patrick is disgruntled former employee. What good company doesn't have one of those? I think, the majority of the people that have been involved with the company have good things to say.

I am a current employee of Kolob. It's a good company. The pay is obviously more than stated above. Min req for FO position is 250tt, but almost impossible to get in unless you know someone in the company. Airplanes are well maintained, good group of pilots. Schedule 2 weeks on, 2 off or 21 days on 9 off.

Back