Kneeboards

turbojet28

Hello,
Soon I will be getting into my cross country training for my PPL and will need to buy a kneeboard. I was thinking about getting the Jepp. one with the clipboard. It seems to be a good one for VFR flying, keeping your things organized. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about kneeboards (for VFR)? Thanks!

-TJ28

They're all pretty much the same thing... just don't get one thats too big for the plane. Otherwise, get whatever you like.

I have the ASA one and I like it. Got a handy see through area for you chart, clipboard with pen holders on the side and pouches that will hold E6B and log book and such. Fits nicely on my knee in 172

I just use a regular clip board (with a few extra clips) it costs about $5 and works really well!

You will find that as you gain hours and experience, that any old slab of something hard will serve just as well as the "GEE WIZZ JEPPESEN" product. Its less question of what is best, and more a question of how much you want to spend.

[ QUOTE ]
You will find that as you gain hours and experience, that any old slab of something hard will serve just as well as the "GEE WIZZ JEPPESEN" product. Its less question of what is best, and more a question of how much you want to spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with ERAU, I bought the cool tri-fold see through plenty of pockets room for a lot of pens kneeboard, used it once, didn't like it, I just use the plain old piece of metal kneeboard.

When you start doing your cross country, use your instructor as a tray table, when you go solo, the empty seat makes an excellent table.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with ERAU, I bought the cool tri-fold see through plenty of pockets room for a lot of pens kneeboard, used it once, didn't like it, I just use the plain old piece of metal kneeboard.

When you start doing your cross country, use your instructor as a tray table, when you go solo, the empty seat makes an excellent table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the big nice trifold job also. Now I just use the metal slab. A pilot should use all of his resources available, especially if your instructor is with you..."here hold this chart".

I would recommend just buying the cheap metal slab.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Just my two cents.

We keep a little 6X9 board my wife picked up at a tradeshow somewhere. I always found Knee boards a waste, not real functional...

I just use a clipboard I bought at office depot for 4 dollars are so, and since I'm usually by myself when I need a kneeboard (I require my students to supply there own source of "kneeboard") I just lay it all in the passenger seat.

One small kneeboard for approach plates and mission card, anything else is written on the canopy in vis-a-vis.

[ QUOTE ]
One small kneeboard for approach plates and mission card, anything else is written on the canopy in vis-a-vis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back at Riddle, whenever you hopped into a Cessna and saw scribblings in a grease pen on the window, you can rest assured you're flying after MikeD.
smile.gif

I use a Wings 9G kneeboard. It's small, light, and has anchors to hang checklists and charts off to the side.

I find that for IFR, using a kneeboard helps keep me organized. I'm not talking one of those tri-fold things that take up the whole cockpit and block the yoke from moving full deflection...I'm talking something small to strap to your leg to hold essentials such as approach plates and a notepad. Even something like a low-enroute is too much. I keep that on the glareshield wedged up next to the windscreen.

As for VFR... what's a kneeboard?

I used a kneeboard for about two flights, but then I purchased a very small metal pad that I'd use to scribble notes on and kept using it until I got hired by Skyway.

Also worked great when I needed to whap a student over the head while I was a CFI!

Ahh, the "Mister Doug sortie". That was with some of my Korean students, I never knew I told that story!

Back