King vs. Sporty's vs. ASA

Heath

King vs. Sporty\'s vs. ASA

OK. Gettin' ready to take my PPL knowledge exam. I'm looking into one of the computer based exam preps. While I value the "I used X brand and passed" opinions, I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who's watched any two of them and can tell me what they liked better about one over the other. I'd also like to hear opinions about the ASA one as I've not read anyone's opinion on those.

Thanks in advance,
Heath

Re: King vs. Sporty\'s vs. ASA

I used the King Stuff for Private, Instrument and Comm. It is hard to get past how strange the Kings are. I watched the Sporty's IFR tapes and would never recommend those to people. And I used the ASA stuff for my CFI and would highly recommend it.

It really depends on your learning style. I've seen both and they have both good points and bad. Again it's more learning style and what was good for me might not be good for you. Sporty's offers a demo CD that wets your appetite. I'm sure if you called them they'd send it to you. King I believe also has something similar. It's worth looking into and doesn’t cost anything.

Personally I would make sure you check out the Gleim books.

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/

What ever you decide on either King, Sporty's or ASA I would highly recommend augmenting it with the Gleim Private Pilot FAA Written Exam Guide. You'll find this is an invaluable tool for preparing to take the written exam.

Good luck!

Ive used Jeppesen and Gleim for my knowledge exams and I have always done very well on the tests. Although I think they have tainted the way we prepare for aviation tests in this country, they definitely prepare you for the right answer.
smirk.gif

I used Cessna (King) videos, then before the test used Gleim to cram. Like virtually all standardized tests, you are going to do a lot better if you can study to what is tested, even if you "know" the material. Gleim is a great cram book at a reasonable price.

I dont know if I would use the term cram, especially if you know the material by actually studying. I guess its almost a necessity to have those books because there are some questions that are put together to throw you, and there is nothing wrong with looking at the correct answer before you see it when it counts. I heard that our neighbors to the north arent afforded that luxury though.

I agree with Iowapilot. I used King on most of my ratings and definately learned the answers. But now I keep around the jepp encyclopedia books for reference or when I actually want to learn something other than (a)(b)(c).

I agree that "cramming" is not the best way to really learn the material, but the way some of the questions are set up, you can know the material and still get the wrong answer if you haven't seen the question. When I said "cram" I really just meant some reference that actually has sample questions so you can see what they are like.

For example, there are some questions that require you to estimate takeoff performance under specified conditions using a flow-through chart. They give you a tiny, low-quality reproduction. To be useful, those charts are supposed to be the size of like two sheets of paper! So you can easily miss the question if you estimate a little different from whoever wrote the question.

I have used King and Sporty's. The King tapes seem to focus primarily on preparing you for the written test, while the Sporty's tapes seem to focus less on the written and more on an overall understanding of the subjects. Both were pretty boring.

The Gleim books and more so the Gleim software are great for passing the written. I used the books and the software for my Private Certificate and my Instrument Rating. I scored a 97 on both.

In my opinion, the best reference books available are Rod Machado's and the Jeppesen books.

The King videos really helped me learn the material as opposed to just memorizing the correct answer for each question (like cramming with Gleim) - If you can get past the corny jokes and their 80's look
tongue.gif
(maybe I'm wrong but the Kings are definately not at the leading edge of fashion) then you will learn a great deal from their courses. They present the material well and teach it in a way that is easy to understand and digest. I suggest using the King course and then use the Gleim books to test yourself.

My dad (a commercial/ME pilot and A&P IA) my husband, and I all used Gleim. Their books have the simplest, best layout, and their computer programs are great & very easy to use.

95% on the written was my lowest score yet and I used asa to help prep for the tests. However I felt that I knew the material I was being tested on and used them as practice only vs memorization

They've got some free ones on the web. When I was getting ready for that test, my instructor told me that I needed to come back to him with three 90 or better scores in a row and he'd sign me off to take the test.

Of course, I ripped off three nearly perfect tests in a row but when it came time to take the real one, I got a 77.

None of the 3 you listed
smile.gif

You left out 3 that I think are the best options, and I'll list them in the order I personally would rank from best.

Jeppesen Fliteschool software. This is the ultimate. I picked up the Instrument and Commercial from a package deal I got for really cheap. I've yet to see anything better. Interactive learning, and testing per section. Answers, with links to 1) Explaination 2) Expanded explainations 3) FAR reference 4) Jeppesen text reference (the entire book text is included on the CD and link to the section the question applies to). Then test at the end are graded. With a certain score, they print out a certificate for you, which you have your own CFI sign off saying they reviewed your home study, or send to Jeppesen, and they'll sign off for you. (also, the Jeppesen text, and written books are very good, computer stuff just makes it easier to practice)

Gleim. The red book. You can pass any test likely just going through the thing a couple times. The layout of the Jeppesen test prep books now almost exactly copies Gleim, but the Gleim has a nicer summary section at the beginning of each chapter.

www.webexams.com is free, and has about 80% of the tests you may ever take. Disadvantage, is no explaination of answers, so best to use as a last before the test kinda thing. Did I mention it is free?

I own the King tapes, and have loaned them out. Honestly don't care if they never come back, they put me to sleep. Sporty's demo didn't inpress me either for private or instrument. No experience with ASA, but the demo on their site seems like the software was written by a 3rd grader.

That's my 4.7 cents
smile.gif

I used the Gleim for both my PPL written and my Instrument and made in the 90s on both. I have the Jeppessen books (not the software, just the text books), but I mainly used the Gleims for the written tests. I used a couple of free FAA test web sites (can't find them right now darn it) to review as well. I plan on doing the same for my Commercial and CFI.

Hmmm. Sounds like I can get just as good of results doing the Gleim, which I have and have been going through this week.

Only thing that had me thinking about the videos was that the Gleim, while excellent for the test, leaves me feeling like I'm missing out on a lot of knowledge that I need to be a good pilot. I read the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook and was sorely disappointed by the lack of useful info that you use day to day, like radio communications.

So, my follow-up question. My flight instruction has been pretty good as far as physical flying skills, but I feel I'm short on the real practical knowledge that I need to be safe, not just pass the exam.

What book or video series would you recommend to read up on to really know and understand what you need to know to be a good pilot, not just pass the test?

Thanks for all the excellent advice, too.

Heath

Gleim has a pilot handbook. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Heath:
In my opinion, you are absolutely correct about test preps being just that - test preps. I believe it was Ralph Butcher of magazine Flight Training fame who said 3-4 hours of studying for every hour of flying. When I was in PPL training I used the Cessna CD course and thought it was decent. Right now I am reading Rod Machado's Private Pilot Manual which I HIGHLY recommend, it is filled with a great amount of practical real world flying. It may be a bit much to expect to get through the whole book before your written, but this book should be a part of any pilot's library. Once I am done with my IFR training(haven't started yet), I will buy his IFR book.
I have done a lot of studying since getting my private. I feel like if I am not consistently hitting the books, magazines, videos(and jetcareers.com!) I am falling behind, even if at this point I only fly 3-4 hours per month. There is too much to know in this field to do only 'test preps.' Hope my 2 cents adds some insight. Good luck with your license, keep us updated.

Louie

[ QUOTE ]
What book or video series would you recommend to read up on to really know and understand what you need to know to be a good pilot, not just pass the test?

[/ QUOTE ]Ya know, that's a great question worthy of its own thread. I think I'll start one now.

Back