King Air State of Nebraska

I lived in Lincoln NE for close to 20 years. It stinks. The people their were as close minded as can be. If you are not from Lincoln originally AND share the same beliefs, do NOT try to set up shop in Lincoln NE.

I was not from Lincoln originally. I moved there for my last year of college when I was 23, and ended up staying for work.

And I'm not sure what you mean by beliefs...political? Religious? It is a fairly conservative place, but so is about 50% of the nation. I always poked fun at the crazy Republicans and got along just fine.

Of course, I mainly hung out with 20-somethings from college or my friends from skydiving, both of which are notoriously openminded. YMMV.

WX in Lincoln: Summer 98 F with 100% humidity. It sticks to you like a wet blanket. Winter -10 F with wind chills in the -10-20 range. There is nothing between the north pole and Lincoln so the arctic express just rolls right the heck through their in the winter.
Cumulonimbus activity: High in spring and fall. TORNADOs are a common occurence in southeastern NE though Lincoln does sit in a bowl of sorts and is missed quite often.

In other words, it's not southern California? I dunno...the weather isn't perfect, but I think a person could find something to complain about anywhere. Alaska is too cold, Arizona is too hot and dry, Florida has too many hurricanes, Michigan has too much snow, etc. I lived in Iowa, Minnesota, eastern Washington, and eastern Pennsylvania prior to moving to Nebraska, and found the weather in Nebraska to be the most pleasant of all, albeit a bit extreme on occasion. But the general trends are not bad.

A couple good lakes near Lincoln, Pawnee and Branched Oak lake are good summer spots...

Haha...ironically, I was never impressed by those lakes!

Oh well. You're entitled to your opinions. How you managed to live in a place you hated so much for 20 years is beyond me, but I hope you've found happiness elsewhere. Personally, I'm looking forward to moving back.

Which reminds me, something to think about: Numerous polls have ranked Nebraska near the top of "happiest" places in America. I'm not sure what factors account for this, but from what I observed, I believe it. Most people have pretty good lives there.

Good luck to whoever gets this job!

Didn't have a choice on staying as that was where I finished High School and college. As an outsider moving in there and trying to make it, I can only speak from my own personal experience. Lincoln blows. They once had a good college football team but even that now belongs to an era long gone.

However, mine is not the only experience. I know folks who love Lincoln, but most of them are from there or somewhere else within NE.
Someone will come along for them I am sure. Won't be me though. Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice...

You may be the ONLY person person I've ever heard with such a low regard for Lincoln and it's population. Me thinks if you had such a rough time there, perhaps it was YOU.

Nebraskans in general are some of the nicest and most polite you will ever meet. I can tell you the mindset of "setting up shop" won't get you very far there......

Just some friendly advice from a Nebraskan.

Thankfully the mindset of "Setting up shop" worked for me here in L.A. lol

Like I said (which you so eloquently elected to ignore). Mine is not the only experience. I know folks who love Lincoln.
I simply chose to give folks a warning about Lincoln, and your reaction is a shining example of the ferocity of the people there. Say one wrong word about that city or its citizenry and they turn into a lynch mob.

Good luck to whoever takes this job.

Like I said (which you so eloquently elected to ignore). Mine is not the only experience. I know folks who love Lincoln.
I simply chose to give folks a warning about Lincoln, and your reaction is a shining example of the ferocity of the people there. Say one wrong word about that city or its citizenry and they turn into a lynch mob.

Every place has their downsides and good. I wasn't a fan of the bay area other than the weather. Glad to be out of Cali. It is nice being able to go grocery shopping and not get chased down by people with clipboards.

Say one wrong word about that city or its citizenry and they turn into a lynch mob.

:) I sure wish you had a better time in Nebraska, but those two things seem like they should follow.
If a man poops on my rug, I will not encourage him to continue.

Every place has their downsides and good. I wasn't a fan of the bay area other than the weather. Glad to be out of Cali. It is nice being able to go grocery shopping and not get chased down by people with clipboards.

They passed a law, no more clip board left wing fascists outside of the stores anymore, now the only thing is the cost of living and the amount of Californians here that the state has going against it now.

I think my couple of biased sentences were trying to balance out your couple of paragraphs of bias. ;)

They passed a law, no more clip board left wing fascists outside of the stores anymore, now the only thing is the cost of living and the amount of Californians here that the state has going against it now.
A California law that makes sense. Thank God.

Back