King Air Question

Just curious...Are you not comfortable putting your dog in any aircraft or is the back of an RJ particularly troublesome?

Just curious...Are you not comfortable putting your dog in any aircraft or is the back of an RJ particularly troublesome?

Can you even put a dog in the back of an RJ? Mesa (go figure :) ) killed a dog a few years ago in a CRJ and after that Airways doesn't allow animals on Express Flights. They may allow them in the back of the 170, but just ask an Republic Pilot and they'll tell you they aren't Express.

(i keed... I keed).

But seriously... do other carriers allow their express ops to carry animals in the bin?

Can you even put a dog in the back of an RJ? Mesa (go figure :) ) killed a dog a few years ago in a CRJ and after that Airways doesn't allow animals on Express Flights. They may allow them in the back of the 170, but just ask an Republic Pilot and they'll tell you they aren't Express.

(i keed... I keed).

But seriously... do other carriers allow their express ops to carry animals in the bin?

Have they increased the amount of service animals you can have in the cabin? We just went from 3 - 5. PARTY!!!!

(i keed... I keed).

We (ASA) can as long as they go in the aft. I wouldn't do it to my dog though unless that was the only way we could get him somewhere. Its not the airplane I don't trust, its relying on the rampers in ATL to remember to tell us there's an animal back there so we can turn on the heat.

If according to the cargo load report we have anything back there that isn't bags, I ask the ramper what it was before pushback. Probably 5 or 6 times they go "its a dog...didn't we put it on the sheet?"

I know a few guys who fly around with conditioned air on all the time just in case.

I have two trips coming up and we were looking into some affordable flight options. I was hoping some of you guys could provide some helpful insight and knowledge.

Trip #1:

BLM (NJ) to Bermuda. 4 of us are traveling and the boss does not want to fly commercial. Would the most affordable and fastest aircraft be a King Air? Would you recommend making this trip in a KA?

Trip #2:

BLM to LIT: 3 of us and a dog are going to Arkansas to duck hunt in Jan. Again what would be the most affordable/fastest option. We usually fly CO but I want to bring my dog and I am not comfortable putting him in the back of a RJ.

Thanks again for any advice.

CB

I'm in the sales side of Part 135 charter and am not familiar with any King airs in that area on a 135 certificate that have a HF radio which is required to fly to Bermuda. Your best option to tell you the truth would be to find two empty legs on a light jet out there and back. I'm not sure how long you are intending to stay out there but the overnight fees can really add up or if you had to double round trip the price, now you looking at much more than most likely expected. Do some searching and you would be surprised at the wide variety of pricing. On numerous occasion, we have gotten Citations cheaper than King Air because of empty legs and one way pricing, heck I even got a Gulfstream cheaper than a Lear 35, the owner was desperate for some movement. Let me know if you have any questions and I can give you some names of companies that we use in that area for trips like that.

Have they increased the amount of service animals you can have in the cabin? We just went from 3 - 5. PARTY!!!!

I think so. I'd have to look. I know our dry ice limit went from 5 pounds total (with no more than 4.4 pounds per passenger) to 440 pound. I think we got a fish contract from somewhere and they needed to be able to move more dry ice.

I'm in the sales side of Part 135 charter and am not familiar with any King airs in that area on a 135 certificate that have a HF radio which is required to fly to Bermuda. Your best option to tell you the truth would be to find two empty legs on a light jet out there and back. I'm not sure how long you are intending to stay out there but the overnight fees can really add up or if you had to double round trip the price, now you looking at much more than most likely expected. Do some searching and you would be surprised at the wide variety of pricing. On numerous occasion, we have gotten Citations cheaper than King Air because of empty legs and one way pricing, heck I even got a Gulfstream cheaper than a Lear 35, the owner was desperate for some movement. Let me know if you have any questions and I can give you some names of companies that we use in that area for trips like that.

...and actually, we're being told that our company is "aggressively pursuing the mid size market", so actually you may be able to get into a mid for light jet prices. Might be worth checking into. Failing that, I'm sure someone out there with a 300/350 has an HF. It's a nice plane. The P180 someone else mentioned is a good idea too. They're pretty quick.

-mini

...and actually, we're being told that our company is "aggressively pursuing the mid size market", so actually you may be able to get into a mid for light jet prices. Might be worth checking into. Failing that, I'm sure someone out there with a 300/350 has an HF. It's a nice plane. The P180 someone else mentioned is a good idea too. They're pretty quick.

-mini

Yeah but your looking at around $2,850 an hour for a Piaggio. Everyone says there a good value, but I havent come across a competively priced one yet, there all in the midjet pricing range.

Thanks for the insight guys and girls.

I don't want to put my dog in the back of a RJ because I have heard some horror stories lately about animals in the cargo hold of commercial airlines. No offense to you commerical guys but I have heard the attention to detail on baggage handling when it comes to animals is lacking. This came from a FO on a CO flight a month ago.

I wish he were a service dog but I would have a hard time passing him off as one considering his servicing skills are limited to making me smile and retrieving dead ducks.

We have a flight hours with Sentient but were looking at options so we did not have to burn hours on a light jet but it seems the safest and fastest way to get to Bermuda would be a light Jet.

The LIT I am definetly going to look at a PC12 or a Piaggio.

Back