King Air crashed into FSI Witchita

I was listening the the police/fire scanner in the area shortly after it happened. The firemen were in the building searching and radioed back saying there was 3 victims in one of the simulators... I can't even begin to imagine how to visualize what it looked like in that building. RIP

I was listening the the police/fire scanner in the area shortly after it happened. The firemen were in the building searching and radioed back saying there was 3 victims in one of the simulators... I can't even imagine to begin to visualize what it looked like in that building. RIP

That would be so terrible to be thinking you're in the safest environment possible in aviation only to have something like that happen. There but for the grace of god go we.

I was listening the the police/fire scanner in the area shortly after it happened. The firemen were in the building searching and radioed back saying there was 3 victims in one of the simulators... I can't even begin to imagine how to visualize what it looked like in that building. RIP

Who could've predicted dying of a plane crash while in the box ?

A nasty little surprise that exists in King Airs is the Unscheduled Torque scenario, which can be worse than losing an engine because auto-feather won't help the pilot and it can be misread. (I'm not saying that's what happened here)
A loss of thrust in an engine should be verified and the cause determined. The 200 is pretty docile on one engine if its light and I agree 100% with the "do nothing until at safe altitude" opinion. Fly the thing straight ahead and figure out exactly what the problem is before doing anything rash. However an unscheduled torque may be difficult to figure out in the heat of the moment...

Sad to hear of this crash, RIP to the fallen

Bp244

A nasty little surprise that exists in King Airs is the Unscheduled Torque scenario, which can be worse than losing an engine because auto-feather won't help the pilot and it can be misread. (I'm not saying that's what happened here)
A loss of thrust in an engine should be verified and the cause determined. The 200 is pretty docile on one engine if its light and I agree 100% with the "do nothing until at safe altitude" opinion. Fly the thing straight ahead and figure out exactly what the problem is before doing anything rash. However an unscheduled torque may be difficult to figure out in the heat of the moment...

Sad to hear of this crash, RIP to the fallen

Bp244

The runaway torque scenario is what gave me the most trouble in my sim training a couple weeks ago... Safe to say I'll remember how to handle that one much better.

Being a 99 or 2000 model, it would have auto feather and rudder boost, right?
Yup, even the Pre- B200's had that. You could let go an do nothing and it will fly itself away just fine.
Kind of like the how do you get out of a spin in a 172... let the F go!

z987k said:
Yup, even the Pre- B200's had that. You could let go an do nothing and it will fly itself away just fine. Kind of like the how do you get out of a spin in a 172... let the F go!
Provided you have the ALT.

The pilot of the aircraft was Mark Goldstein. He was a Navy Veteran who retired last year from Wichita ATCT/TRACON. He was performing a test flight on a 1999 B200 that had been recently inspected.

Mark was the recipient of NATCA's Archie League Medal of Safety award in both 2004 and 2005.

I am absolutely stunned by this tragedy and loss.

My thoughts go out to all friends and family of the victims of this accident.

Back