King Air C90 SIC in PHX - Contract

JDE

Found this on the NBAA forums:

We are looking for a 135 current C90 SIC on a contract basis. Currently not a long term / full time position. Must be within 2 hrs of KPHX.

Please email Gordon Paige, Director of Operations, at gpaige@cutteraviation.com

How come not 135 VFR requirements? We're just as good as those IFR guys.

135 VFR requirements are to act as PIC. They're looking for an SIC. Does it specify VFR/IFR, anyway? You can have a letter to be an SIC under 135, which qualifies you to be a crewmember under IFR.

This is a one pilot ship.....Can not log the time. This will probably be due insurance requirements of a customer.

It depends upon the operation and the person flying PIC. If the person flying PIC is an instructor you can log it as dual received (I'm not sure if you can log it as SIC at the same time). Also its possible that the operation may require a second pilot, for example I logged SIC time in the Pilatus PC-12 because we were flying under 91subK which requires two pilots...;)

If the company's ops specs call for two pilots, then two pilots are legally required (and can both log the time), regardless of the aircraft's type certification.

Careful on this one.... Let me further clear up what I am talking about. Yes, check to see that the company has "the letter" from the FAA, indicating that the operations are approved for two pilots in an airplane that was originally certified as a one pilot operated airplane..... ie... no autopilot on an IFR flight. However, if this is just an insurance requirement of a well to do client, and not an operational requirement of Part 135, then you will not be required and cannot log the time. Just check with the operator. Also, call up the Scottsdale FSDO and run it by them. Letters from the FAA fly all over this website, however, they are still up to interpretation of the local FSDO.... Just cover your butt. Personally, I think two pilots would be a smart thing, but I am not the one that you would need to justify times too down the road. Good luck...

Careful on this one.... Let me further clear up what I am talking about. Yes, check to see that the company has "the letter" from the FAA, indicating that the operations are approved for two pilots in an airplane that was originally certified as a one pilot operated airplane..... ie... no autopilot on an IFR flight. However, if this is just an insurance requirement of a well to do client, and not an operational requirement of Part 135, then you will not be required and cannot log the time. Just check with the operator. Also, call up the Scottsdale FSDO and run it by them. Letters from the FAA fly all over this website, however, they are still up to interpretation of the local FSDO.... Just cover your butt. Personally, I think two pilots would be a smart thing, but I am not the one that you would need to justify times too down the road. Good luck...

The "letter" from the FAA (local FSDO) that most 135 companies have for equipment like the king air authorizes them to operate single pilot under certain conditions (working autopilot, etc.). This is not a requirement, it's an exception to the FARs. There is no "letter" from the FSDO, administrator, President Obama, or anyone else that says the operator is authorized to use two pilots. The 135 FARs spell out the two pilot requirement. It's a very important difference to understand if you are employed by a 135 operator.

Part 135 passenger charter? You are totally good to go with the SIC as long as they've had the appropriate training listed in FAR 135.293.

Back