Kiddie Nightmares

gtpilot

So, 2am rolls around and my daughter is crying out alternately, 'Ow!' and 'No!'. After being shoved forcefully out of bed (my wife claims I won't go willingly otherwise), I stumble into the kids' room to find my girl sitting up in bed wringing her little two-year old hands for all they are worth.

This is understandable, see, not two days ago, she sticks said hands into a fire ant bed, unbeknownst to me until her five-year old sister sagely states, 'Tori is playing with ants. I wouldn't do that if I were her.' Can you see my eldest standing there with her hands on her hips (like her mother might) shaking her head at her ill fated little sister? So my youngest looks quizzically at her sister, then at her tiny hands and then up to me before proclaiming, 'Dadda, Ow!' She then proceeds to wring her hands (sound familiar?) while calmly saying 'Ow!' every other second or so. Well, I managed to get bitten five times while simply trying to remove those vicious little creatures from her and 'Ow' was definitely not the word that came to my mind at the time. Tactfully, however, I gritted my teeth and refrained from offering anything up for my little parrots.

Anyway, back to tonight, I immediately pickup my poor frightened little girl and cradle her against my chest to ward off the nightmare and within ten seconds she's snoring contentedly. So I put sleeping beauty back to bed and now I wonder (quite selfishly, I might add), why I am the only one among the family (wife, two kids, two dogs, two cats and many fish) who is still awake.

End rant.

Aww!

Hey, well, I'm sitting here tinkering away in the home office. You're not the only one up! :) Kristie's across the desk working on her diabolical plans to take over the world. Glass of wine on my side of the desk with some weird satellite radio playing.

I thought it was midnight thirty and you were out? Well, on the bright side, I hear sunrise is pretty lately. I usually don't wake up early enough to see those!

Gee Brain, what do you want do do tonight?

There's always breakfast!

Thick cut bacon, toast, a couple eggs over medium and an espresso. Delish!

There's always breakfast!

Thick cut bacon, toast, a couple eggs over medium and an espresso. Delish!

I do make some pretty mean peach and chocolate chip pancakes. Should I be so nice while everyone but me enjoys their beauty sleep? ;)

Sounds strange but interesting! I'm more of a plain-jane when it comes to pancakes. Just basic stacks with some decent-quality maple syrup. Ooh, and a couple strips of bacon.

Thanks alot you two. Now I'm going to have to roll out of bed and make pancakes and bacon. I hope you're happy.:)

No sympathy! I am still up after my 30 minute nap last night! :p Couldn't find bacon in the house though...had to settle for Polish Sausage.

The little imp was all grins this morning too...ah, well, I like the grins.

Attachments

• DSC00897.JPG
    DSC00897.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 93
Kids can dream about things that have happened to them, always sad when it's something like that though :(

About a year ago we had a talk with our then-4-year-old about dreams, and how they're not "real", and that dreams are just stories your mind makes up while you're sleeping. Relating a dream to being a made-up story seemed to help him understand that it's not real, but just a story in his head while he sleeps.

Kids can dream about things that have happened to them, always sad when it's something like that though :(

About a year ago we had a talk with our then-4-year-old about dreams, and how they're not "real", and that dreams are just stories your mind makes up while you're sleeping. Relating a dream to being a made-up story seemed to help him understand that it's not real, but just a story in his head while he sleeps.

We've had similar discussions with our 5-year old. Unfortunately, at 2 they just don't understand. Fortunately, they also seem to recover more quickly when super-mom or dad comes to the rescue!

Yeah at 2 they're not able to grasp that concept yet.

I don't even think my 3 1/2 year old would be able to comprehend the "stories" explanation yet either.

It is nice when a hug and tuck-in in the night makes it all better :)

I hate when my kids have nightmares. The other night my 6 year old came in our room crying hysterically cause she had a dream that her little sister was drowning and she couldn't find an adult to help and when she went out to save her, she started drowning. I felt so bad for her!

I want the recipte for those pancakes...that sounds yummy!

I cheat a little -

1 cup bisquick (or favorite pancake mix) mixed with water/milk per instructions
1/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks (I use semi-sweet morsels) finely chopped or shaved after measuring
1/2 cup finely chopped peach

stir in peaches and chocolate and cook on surface of your choice (I use a griddle @400)

feeds a family of four - kid tested, mother approved!

Back