Keep your chins up...

flyitup

After a long day at work, I crawled into my truck to head home and shortly thereafter heard the news of the seemingly imminent war with Iraq. I turned the radio off and began to ponder the likely negative ramifications that a war would most certainly bring to the aviation industry.

I certainly feel for the many, many people who must be worried about the possibility of losing their jobs, but what does this mean for those of us who are just in the infancy of our training? Well, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure that one out. I believe we will see a domino effect take place in the aviation industry just as it did after 9/11, only to a worse degree. Meaning if thousands more pilots are laid off, there will no doubt be a stand still in hiring for every possible flying job from airlines to corporate and on through CFI’s. However, as Doug and some of the more senior guys have mentioned, the industry has been through this before, more than once in fact, and it WILL be on the upswing eventually. Until that happens all we can do is keep our heads up and our attitudes optimistic.

Doug,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, and the other members of the Jetcareers squad for making this wonderful website possible.

In these times of definite uncertainty and adversity in the aviation industry I feel that Jetcareers.com and the fantastic members within, serve as a vital life line that keeps us all motivated and excited about flying.

Blue skies and tailwinds to all…

Ryan

Well said, and I have also spent time contemplating the future. Hope to see all of you on the other side of the cockpit door.

I completely second everything you say Flyitup! You really have to keep motivated,even with all the bad news in the world and in the airline industry.

This weekend I'll be attending a retirement party for one of my friends over at USAirways. This guy is retiring with 33 years of service as ramp rat. He's seen all the changes his airline has gone through(going from a regional to a major now back to a regional). The guy's not even sure what his retirement he'll have but oddly enough the guy still has a smile on his face. That's the kind of attitude we all need to adopt!

Yea it's bad out there,and it may get just a little bit worse......BUT the industry will comeback bigger,better and smarter. Will any of us be 777 Captains making 300k with 20 days off. Not likely,but I quite certain that all of us will make it to our respective seats in this industry. Just keep saying...It will get better,It will get better...because it will!

Great post!!

I think that's the attitude to adopt in all aspects of our lives in the shadow of war.

Cheers.

Naunga

Thanks for the Post fly it up. Doug does have a great website.
cool.gif

I'm gonna play the stupid idiot now so please bear with me.

Everyone says that the industry will really suffer with the war and all that. Airlines are talking about how much they project they will lose during the war and the such.

What I don't get is I have always heard in college courses that war tends to boost the economy. So am I misunderstanding something? I always thought this would be a good thing for the economy.

I do also understand that people may be afraid to fly because of the heightened terror alert. Help me understand why the war is going to kill the industry.

(edit)Didn't mean to derail the thread - thought it was a very non-threatening, non-political answer to the previous post (panam's). Apparently it wasn't. I deleted it so as not to ruin an otherwise uplifting thread.

[ QUOTE ]

In this case we will most likely occupy Iraq for several years, if not decades, which will be a drain on the economy. We only have 9,000 troops in Afghanistan (a country we
do not "officially" occupy) and it costs $1 billion per month to keep them there - imagine what a country the size of Iraq - and now without the help of Allies or the U.N. - is
going to cost us. The nation is already at a historic debt level and at the absolute limit of it's spending cap. Things are not looking good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, it is the goal of the Bush administration to make our economy worse.
I mean, wait, errr....

[ QUOTE ]
That's right, it is the goal of the Bush administration to make our economy worse.
I mean, wait, errr....

[/ QUOTE ]

Come ON! PLEASE! Lets have at least one positive post without an intense political debate?
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Come ON! PLEASE! Lets have at least one positive post without an intense political debate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ll second that. Please excuse me if it was seen in the wrong light, but my intention was to make this post a positive one. There’s certainly enough political wrangling going on in the squawk box for everyone’s enjoyment. Pilot602, I appreciate you deleting your post (though I wasn’t able to read it) in an effort to keep the thread headed in the right direction.

Thanks to all for the optimistic comments thus far.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't get is I have always heard in college courses that war tends to boost the economy. So am I misunderstanding something? I always thought this would be a good thing for the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's not true. The Wall Street Journal did a little study and it showed that the last war that actually boosted the economy was World War II. Look at what happened after the last Gulf War, for example. The economy sucked. George Bush Sr., who is 100 times more of a man than his son, by the way, went from a 90 percent approval rating to a one term President because of this.

The same thing will happen to his son. The only problem is that there will be a lot of body bags filled with Americans before that happens.

Back