Kalitta ceasing 767 operations

Just announced that we are ceasing 767 operations to concentrate on 74/777 operations. Seems like the “shortage” has finally caught up to us.

Sorry to hear that. What's the backstory? Other than a few work-friends still in that world, I'm very much outside the "like sands through the hourglass, so are the long days and nights of frieghter flying" drama these days. Is there an old certificate being dusted off and the name is going to change to Conrad Whipsaw IV AirLine? Or is it a gone-for-good because the costs are too damn high thing?

Sorry to hear that. What's the backstory? Other than a few work-friends still in that world, I'm very much outside the "like sands through the hourglass, so are the long days and nights of frieghter flying" drama these days. Is there an old certificate being dusted off and the name is going to change to Conrad Whipsaw IV AirLine? Or is it a gone-for-good because the costs are too damn high thing?

My 2 cents:

The DHL 767 market is very saturated. A lot of companies vying for slots. A lot of these companies with much lower costs then us. The DHL 76 profit margin isn’t huge to begin with. Compare that to 74 charters we are turning down due to staffing that make us a small fortune, it was a no brainer to staff the money maker. We are also the launch customer for the new converted 777 freighter. We need to staff those guys too.

We have 9 76’s, 3 owned by DHL and 6 owned by us. The 3 DHL are going back into the system and our 6 are going to be dry leased to DHL. No whipsaw.

It is a complete failure. That’s what happens when your MEC consists of two ex-chief pilots.

The best thing I can give you in that case is text for a generic recall petition.

Copy and paste, madlibs the heck out of the blank spots, and send it for inclusion in the next LEC meeting. Then make a lot of phone calls: (Incumbents tend to stack meetings)

SUBJECT: Recall of LEC (Seat) Rep (NAME)

SOURCE: (NAMES)

BACKGROUND INFORMATION: While there is no denying that the last 2 years have been unprecedented, the MEC’s mission is (COPY/PAST FROM YOUR POLICY MANUAL) LEC (Seat) Rep (NAME) has failed to represent (YOUR COUNCIL) pilots, and achieve our Union’s Mission.

WHEREAS, (Seat) (NAME), (LIST STUFF THEY FAILED TO DO)

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, LEC (Seat) Rep (NAME) has been derelict in his duties as a pilot advocate for the pilots of council (NUMBER) and should no longer be an elected official of this MEC or Council (NUMBER) and is hereby recalled as pursuant of ALPA C&BL Article III.F.

Don't be surprised if suddenly you become a rep after doing all that work. Volunteerism is rewarding.

The best thing I can give you in that case is text for a generic recall petition.

Copy and paste, madlibs the heck out of the blank spots, and send it for inclusion in the next LEC meeting. Then make a lot of phone calls: (Incumbents tend to stack meetings)

Don't be surprised if suddenly you become a rep after doing all that work. Volunteerism is rewarding.

Already have a site and all. We were real close but with the attrition we were always coming up a bit short. Don’t mind the work, spent years on grievance and negotiations.

Are the 76's going to the market, or will they hang on to them until staffing is sufficient?

Why not increase the incentive for people to apply rather than shut down a fleet? Seems like you have to put the same amount of pilots through sim training either way.

Why not increase the incentive for people to apply rather than shut down a fleet? Seems like you have to put the same amount of pilots through sim training either way.
“ the pilots voted for the contract so we’re not looking at any changes.”
That’s paraphrasing our management’s perspective. They don’t think anything needs to change, but we can’t gain any pilots due to attrition.

"Shrinking to manageability" is the new "shrinking to profitability" in the ACMI world. Atlas was in a similar predicament before the arbitration and post-contract increase, and all that seems to have done is slow the bleeding.

The last official word we had from K4 management is that they are perfectly satisfied with the hiring and attrition picture. Seeing as everyone in a decision-making position seems to have been much more comfortable back when this was a sideshow outfit 1/4th our current size, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Current and prospective pilots should probably adjust expectations accordingly.

Back